Go Down

Topic: Arduino 0018 now available. (Read 15357 times) previous topic - next topic

PaulS

Just because I fuss a bit about the hex file being relocated to a temp folder - I wish to make clear I appreciate VERY much all the work and effort

Does this mean you wouldn't appreciate it if you didn't fuss a bit? ::)

RoyK

Please add me to the list of fussers. AFAIC the elf file and the hex file are the alpha and omega of the compile/build process and hunting all over the computer to find them shouldn't be necessary. If it's necessary to put them somewhere other than the applet folder in order to support OSX or linux or whatever fine but PLEASE at least add a configuration setting to save copies in the applet folder too..

KenH

PaulS, you wrote:

Does this mean you wouldn't appreciate it if you didn't fuss a bit?

Perhaps I worded that a bit awkward?

Regradless of any fussing I might do, I wish the group to know how much I appreciate all the work that is being done to make this powerful program available.  Until learning abit about this Arduino I NEVER expected to code anything for embedded programs.

I've successfully completed two projects:  The laminator temperature controller, and a power supply monitor that monitors voltage, heatsink temperature, and current draw and shut down if either of those exceeds alarm trip point.  NEVER did I expect to be able to do something like that... and most important, actually understand the code I wrote!

THANK YOU to the whole group and especially the development team.... but I second RoyK's statement.

Ken H>

wayoda

Feb 03, 2010, 08:44 am Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 08:46 am by wayoda Reason: 1

... the alpha and omega of the compile/build process and hunting all over the computer to find them shouldn't be necessary.

The Arduino-IDE will create a single temporary directory at runtime where the hex-files are stored. The directory will be deleted when the application exits. The location for this directory will not change its in  /tmp on linux and some other permanent location on Mac/Win.
So the hunt is already over after a single compile-run with the shift-key held down for verbose compiler output.

I think 99% of the arduino users don't care/know what a hex-file is and the 1% left should be smart enough to copy the hex-file to a permanent location.
Eberhard  

complubot

My students and I use the Arduino our robotics projects in the past three years. We use "arduino stamp versions" (including arduino mega).

I think we only use the bootloader to the first exercise, we prefer to use a external ICSP programmer and we need the .hex file (maybe there is some way to do this from the IDE, I do not know).

Now I feel part of that 1%:)
Centro de Robótica Educativa
www.complubot.com

eried

Feb 03, 2010, 11:33 am Last Edit: Feb 03, 2010, 11:46 am by eried Reason: 1
I don't care about the hex file.

What is the point about using Arduino/Arduino IDE without using the bootloader. It is like asking Visual Studio to let you do the final linking process of the executable.

However, it matter of just of opening %temp% from start menu
My website: http://ried.cl

complubot

I do not quite understand the need to disappear. Hex or placing it in a location other than the source program folder.

"You can use arduino with little knowledge of Microcontroller" seems to me a valid point, but not the only possibility. I work with students aged 8 to 18 years in a small robotics classroom. I use Arduino (dsPIC before) because it seems too simple and educational. The generation of a .Hex file is part of the normal process of compilation and I'll explain to my students.

For me, more important than what my students get to do is what they learn while doing. This new mode of operation of the Arduino IDE does not seem very educational. But this is just my opinion  ;)
Centro de Robótica Educativa
www.complubot.com

wayoda

Here are the instructions for uploading using an external programmer:
http://www.arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Programmer

@eried

What is the point about using Arduino/Arduino IDE without using the bootloader.

There are a few circumstances which make it necessary:
If your code gets too big, you can use the extra 2 kb taken up by the bootloader. You have some software/hardware issues with the bootloader-code running when the board is reset.

Eberhard

nahumb

Hi,

It looks like the "Stop" button does not stop the UART transmission anymore?
Is it so (or just on my PC)?

10x

Nahum.

KenH

"precision parameter for printing of floats / doubles" works.

That really works NICE!!  I think I "might" put up with having to "hunt" the hex files for that one thing right there.  

Thanks to all the development team for a GREAT feature!

Ken H>

westfw

The Arduino-IDE will create a single temporary directory at runtime where the hex-files are stored. The directory will be deleted when the application exits. The location for this directory will not change its in  /tmp on linux and some other permanent location on Mac/Win.

For Mac, it seems to generate its own special folder name like:

Code: [Select]
/var/folders/Xw/XwjZcQ842RWmnU+8ZSLT7U+++TI/-Tmp-/build9142969154033714507.tmp/primes.cpp.hex
Completely obvious and intuitive and trivial to just type in another window, eh?  Grr.

(So what's it DOING?  I would swear that back in the pre-17 days it used something like a nice /tmp/build.procnum directory just like I'd expect most unix-like programs to use.  But even running old versions I now get a folder like the one quoted above!  Is there a java function to get a "temporary" filename that changed in more recent versions of java or something?)

wayoda

Hi,

Completely obvious and intuitive and trivial to just type in another window, eh?  Grr.

The status window of the IDE supports text-selection with the mouse and coping the selected content to the system clipboard.
Copy the location to a console and add a 'cp' cmd to the front and a copy target to tail to save your hex-file whereever you want.

If thats to compilcated, open a Filemanager-window and navigate to the directory.

This part of the path is constant for the runtime of the app:
Code: [Select]

/var/folders/Xw/XwjZcQ842RWmnU+8ZSLT7U+++TI/-Tmp-/build9142969154033714507.tmp/

So you probably have to look for the tmp-dir only once a day and update the FileManager-view after a verify/upload.

Eberhard

Osgeld

heh mac's cant copy and paste paths into file explorer windows
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

KenH

We understand there is a way to hunt down the hex files, awkward, but can be done.  I did it last night.

But is there a "valid" reason it was changed to this awkward method?  With a valid reason I can accept....  well, valid or not, I'll have to accept it anyway for I sure don't have the knowledge to make any changes.

Again, THANK YOU to the whole development team for their dedicated work.

Ken H>

AZRobbo

Moving build (on upload) from the applet/ sub-folder of the sketch to a temporary directory

I'd also like to cast a vote for keeping the HEX files in the sketch folder, or at least give us the option.

I suppose the thinking was that the files generated during upload are not needed by users.  However, HEX file do have value, and are used by many folks (as demonstrated by the replies on this thread alone.)

Go Up