Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino 0018 now available.  (Read 12698 times)
Wuppertal/Germany
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

But is there a "valid" reason it was changed to this awkward method?  With a valid reason I can accept....  well, valid or not, I'll have to accept it anyway for I sure don't have the knowledge to make any changes.
There only one I know of is a some  Mac issue with users running the IDE from the dmg-file. Whatever that might mean (I never even sat in  front o f a mac) these people are having problems compiling the examples, because the directories are read-only?

Didn't convince me too. But what the heck, the files are still there when I need them.

Eberhard

KC4MM
View Profile

and to make it worse - once you run V18 you apparently can't go back. Earlier versions which used to put things nicely into the applet folder (where they would be archived along with the sketch btw as they should be) now put them in the temp directory too.

Wuppertal/Germany
God Member
View Profile

and to make it worse - once you run V18 you apparently can't go back. Earlier versions which used to put things nicely into the applet folder (where they would be archived along with the sketch btw as they should be) now put them in the temp directory too.
Good hint!
Reading this, I was wondering which code revision moved the build folder to the tmp-dir .
SVN nerver forgets says it was 601.
So the Hex-Files which are needed so desperately have disappeared from the applet folder half a year ago with the previous Arduino version 0017.

Version 0016 still compiles the sketches into the applet dir.
Eberhard

Mobile, AL
CAUTION!-Slow Learner
View Profile

So does Version 0017.

once you run V18 you apparently can't go back. Earlier versions which used to put things nicely into the applet folder (where they would be archived along with the sketch btw as they should be) now put them in the temp directory too.

OH NO!!!  I downloaded 0018 last night and played with it some - you are telling me if I now use 0017 those files will also be put in temp directory somewhere in OZ?

Sure would be nice if there would be a setting somewhere that could be modd'd to put files in a preset folder.

Ken H>

KC4MM
View Profile

Well, I guess I was wrong about that. I ran v16 this morning and it did put stuff into a temporary directory. But I just ran it again and it put it into applet.

In between I restored my system drive from an image backup made 4 days ago in an attempt to resolve the problem I'm having with java.

My Arduino folders are not on the system drive and were not affected by the restoral.

I can only guess that something got changed somewhere on the system drive that got changed back when I restored the image.

As to V17 - I don't know what it does. I'll have to accept what wayoda said. I tried V17 once, didn't like it, and went back to V16.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 01:35:49 pm by RoyK » Logged

Wuppertal/Germany
God Member
View Profile

So does Version 0017.
You are right for 0017.
Verify comples into the tmp-dir, but Upload puts the file into the applet folder.

Eberhard

Mobile, AL
CAUTION!-Slow Learner
View Profile

Verify comples into the tmp-dir, but Upload puts the file into the applet folder.

Yep, that is what I find. When I said "compile" I was thinking "upload" - upload is what I always used to get the hex file.  I had forgotten compile was into a temp folder.

I just tested ver 0017 this morning and it still compiles into the applet folder so we're good there.

I would like to hear from the development team as to the reasoning behind putting hex files into the temp folder in that awkward place.

Thank you to the development team for all the GREAT work they do.  I just wish I had a smidgen of knowledge they have so I could help.

Ken H>
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 10:48:30 am by KenH » Logged

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

There were two issues with compiling examples: one, when the Arduino.app is in the Mac OS X disk image, and two, if there's a package that installs Arduino in a Linux system directory.  These files were never really intended to be "exported" to the applet directory anyway.

Mobile, AL
CAUTION!-Slow Learner
View Profile

Mellis, are you saying the reason for moving the hex and other files to a temp folder was due to linux and Mac systems?

Hmmmmmm.....  As I said, I realize I have so little knowledge it's hard for me to comment half way intelligent on this.....  I just know it's being a hassle on windows systems getting to the temp folder before exiting and the files are lost.

Ken H>

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

I just know it's being a hassle on windows systems getting to the temp folder before exiting and the files are lost.
How is it a hassle?  Remembering to do it?  Having to copy the files to another location?

I ask because someone may be able to offer suggestions to make it easier.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

/var/folders/Xw/XwjZcQ842RWmnU+8ZSLT7U+++TI/-Tmp-/build9142969154033714507.tmp/primes.cpp.hex

(So what's it DOING?  ...  Is there a java function to get a "temporary" filename that changed in more recent versions of java or something?)
To answer my own question:  Apparently YES.  Assorted Arduino IDE functions use the function Base.createTempFolder() in app/src/processing/app/Base.java, and it calls File.createTempFile() which appears to be part of the standard java runtimes.

There is a build.path preference, but it doesn't appear to have much flexibility.

Mobile, AL
CAUTION!-Slow Learner
View Profile

C:\DOCUME~1\MS\LOCALS~1\Temp\build5811986454016519775.tmp

That is the path to the temporary file, a bit awkward to drill down to on a windows system taking several clicks... and REMEMBERING to do this before closing Arduino program so it's not deleted.

As I said, I can learn to do it - just trying to understand the reasoning behind the move. There may well be a very valid reason.

Thank you again to the development team for all the work they do that allows the rest of us to have such a GREAT!!! program to use.

Ken H>  

Arduino rocks
View Profile

And for those who experience delays opening the "Tools" menu or when the ide starts in Windows: http://erwin.ried.cl/files/articles/arduino_bluetooth_001/rxtxSerial-2.2_fixed_2009-08-04.rar
Thanks!

I am really disappointed with the devs for not including this fix. Without it Arduino seems like some buggy software made by kids... Yes I am harsh now, but it really gives them a bad image with such slowdowns and other bugs.

They should also fix parallel port bootloader burning by adding a "options window" to let you configure it. I wrote about that here:
http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1263359997

/harsh off

But other than that I am very happy with this release. Arduino sure makes things easier and I love it for that.

Forum Administrator
Cambridge, MA
Faraday Member
View Profile

If there are specific changes you'd like to see, I'd suggest opening an issue on the Google Code project: http://code.google.com/p/arduino/issues/list.  That makes it less likely for things to get lost (like they do in the forum) and more likely to make it into the software.

Berkeley, California
Arduino rocks
View Profile

ok for the example to work as described. But pi = 3.14159265
 smiley-wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: