Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: H-bridge not sourcing enough current  (Read 704 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So, what i've got here is one of the sources for an h-bridge i'm working on, isolated from the rest of the circuit for testing. I can't seem to figure out for the life of me why it can only source about 1.7-1.9 A. The motor it's driving, when attached directly to the exact same power supply driving the circuit (only adjusted to match Vout), draws about 2.3-2.5 Amps stalled, but in when attached to  Vout, draws only 1.7-1.9 Amps stalled.

What I don't understand too, is why the voltage drop between +V and Vout is only around .5 V, when Vce of Q2 and Q3 are far greater than that.

There's a flyback diode installed between Vout and +V that I neglected to include in the schematic, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.

So yeah, help would be much appreciated.

EDIT: Whoops, forgot to include the schematic.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc201/sinkoman_iii/2011-08-19_22-46-48_925.jpg
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:34:34 am by sinkoman » Logged

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Whoops, forgot to include the schematic.
Is that actually a H bridge?

View Profile

Whoops, forgot to include the schematic.
Is that actually a H bridge?

So, what i've got here is one of the sources for an h-bridge i'm working on, isolated from the rest of the circuit for testing

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

There's a flyback diode installed between Vout and +V that I neglected to include in the schematic, but I don't think that has anything to do with it.
Well if it were the wrong way round it would explain:-
is why the voltage drop between +V and Vout is only around .5 V, when Vce of Q2 and Q3 are far greater than that.

View Profile

Cathode is connected to +v, anode is connected to Vout

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

OK have you measured Vout under the load of the motor or unloaded?

View Profile

Hadn't bothered to measure load voltage till now. Drops about .25 V with the motor+gearbox+wheel connected.

EDIT: When stalled, the drop is 1.7 - 1.75 V
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 05:10:23 am by sinkoman » Logged

Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I think that is your problem then.

View Profile

I already tried adjusting the power supply to offset Vout with the motor connected (but unloaded), and the current draw when stalled is still topping out at 1.8-1.9 A :/

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

check the transistor datasheets (for 3A or the TIP42's guaranteed gain is only 15) you'll probably find you don't have enough gain to fully saturate under your low drive conditions - try replacing the 1k on Q1's collector with 330 ohms? 

If Q1 can drive enough current then you could lose Q2 and have a much smaller Vce sat from your output stage - Darlingtons drop a lot of voltage compared to 3.5V...

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

3.3v is very low to be driving an H bridge made from bipolar transistors. Power transistors typically have Vce(sat) figures of 1v or more at a few amps. If you really need to use such a low voltage supply and motor, I suggest using mosfets instead. You can get P-channel mosfets that are good with gate drive voltages down to 1.8v. The only snag is that all the ones I can find are designed for surface mounting (mostly SO-8 packages), so they are a little tricky to solder.

Mosfets generally incorporate reverse diodes between drain and source, so in a full H bridge configuration you don't need any extra flyback diodes.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 02:08:06 pm by dc42 » Logged

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

3.3v is very low to be driving an H bridge made from bipolar transistors. Power transistors typically have Vce(sat) figures of 1v or more at a few amps. If you really need to use such a low voltage supply and motor, I suggest using mosfets instead. You can get P-channel mosfets that are good with gate drive voltages down to 1.8v. The only snag is that all the ones I can find are designed for surface mounting (mostly SO-8 packages), so they are a little tricky to solder.

Mosfets generally incorporate reverse diodes between drain and source, so in a full H bridge configuration you don't need any extra flyback diodes.

While that's true in general there are newer high performance bipolar supertransistors out there with very low Vce(sat) at several amps such as the phenomenal ZTX851, 0.2V at 5A collector current - although its only in a small package so probably not rugged enough for motor control.

All _power_ MOSFETs incorporate the diodes because its necessary to prevent latch-up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_MOSFET#Body_diode

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

I'm thinking maybe I do just need to go with MOSFETS, because i've already tried connecting Q1 to Q3 as a Sziklai pair, thinking the voltage drop was the problem, and I still had the exact same problem. I was hoping to avoid using MOSFETS, as p-channel ones are impossible to find locally, and shipping costs here are pretty ridiculous. Oh well :/

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: