Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Button problem  (Read 590 times)
Romania
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have bought a brick button from the shop where i bought the arduino ... i connected it to pin 0 , GND , 5 V when i press it windows disconnects my arduino... Do i need it to connect it to a digital pin or what i am doing wrong what can be the cause of my problem ?

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Do i need it to connect it to a digital pin or what i am doing wrong what can be the cause of my problem ?

You have missed wired it somehow. When you press the button you are creating a direct short cicuit between the arduino ground and +5vdc, causing a overcurrent draw from the PC USB port and hense the error and complaint. The module should have it's pins labled or named, ground, +5vdc, and signal, or something on that order. Ground should wire to an arduino ground pin, +5vdc should wire to the arduino +5vdc pin, and signal should wire to a arduino digital pin.

By the way pin 0 is used by the arduino for serial communications with the PC and for uploading sketches to the board, you are best to use pins other then pins 0 and 1.

Lefty

Romania
View Profile

I took your advice and i connected it as instructed still doesn't work here is a picture on how is made maybe it's just defective ...

Another question : Can i damage my arduino if i make a shortcircuit ?

View Profile

I think your wiring would go, from top to bottom (looking at the top picture) +5V, Sig, GND

If you put +V or GND in the center, then when the button is depressed, you're shorting the two.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 04:32:00 am by sinkoman » Logged

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

Can i damage my arduino if i make a shortcircuit ?
No but you can damage the USB port from your PC. Those are much more expensive to replace.

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
"Keep it R.E.I.L. - "Research, Experiment, Investigate and Learn"
View Profile

@sinkoman

I looked at the bottom picture, to determined what is what... so look at the top picture ans the connection should be:

Looking at the TOP picture.
               Press ON - No Press OFF mode                      Press OFF - No Press ON Mode
top wire : signal to digital pin. ex : pin 12            Top wire : signal to digital pin . ex : 12
middle wire : +5 V                                            middle wire :  GND
bottom wire : GND                                           Bottom wire : + 5 V

I see a 10 K resistor, and a button. Can you check the button... connect a DMV at "OHM Check" at mddle wire and top wire ( Make sure the unit is DISCONNECTED ) you should read an "open" , let the meter test wire there and press the button and you should read a "short" , that mean the button is working and also measure the 10 K ohms resistor, it should read closely to 10 K.

My analysis of this board

Massachusetts, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I have bought a brick button from the shop where i bought the arduino ... i connected it to pin 0 , GND , 5 V when i press it windows disconnects my arduino... Do i need it to connect it to a digital pin or what i am doing wrong what can be the cause of my problem ?

Pin 0 is one of the serial communication pins.  Use pin 2 and up if you want Serial.print() to work.

Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: