Go Down

Topic: Button problem (Read 662 times) previous topic - next topic

opc0de

I have bought a brick button from the shop where i bought the arduino ... i connected it to pin 0 , GND , 5 V when i press it windows disconnects my arduino... Do i need it to connect it to a digital pin or what i am doing wrong what can be the cause of my problem ?

retrolefty

Do i need it to connect it to a digital pin or what i am doing wrong what can be the cause of my problem ?

You have missed wired it somehow. When you press the button you are creating a direct short cicuit between the arduino ground and +5vdc, causing a overcurrent draw from the PC USB port and hense the error and complaint. The module should have it's pins labled or named, ground, +5vdc, and signal, or something on that order. Ground should wire to an arduino ground pin, +5vdc should wire to the arduino +5vdc pin, and signal should wire to a arduino digital pin.

By the way pin 0 is used by the arduino for serial communications with the PC and for uploading sketches to the board, you are best to use pins other then pins 0 and 1.

Lefty

opc0de

I took your advice and i connected it as instructed still doesn't work here is a picture on how is made maybe it's just defective ...

Another question : Can i damage my arduino if i make a shortcircuit ?

sinkoman

Aug 20, 2011, 11:29 am Last Edit: Aug 20, 2011, 11:32 am by sinkoman Reason: 1
I think your wiring would go, from top to bottom (looking at the top picture) +5V, Sig, GND

If you put +V or GND in the center, then when the button is depressed, you're shorting the two.

Grumpy_Mike

Can i damage my arduino if i make a shortcircuit ?

No but you can damage the USB port from your PC. Those are much more expensive to replace.

Techone

@sinkoman

I looked at the bottom picture, to determined what is what... so look at the top picture ans the connection should be:

Looking at the TOP picture.
               Press ON - No Press OFF mode                      Press OFF - No Press ON Mode
top wire : signal to digital pin. ex : pin 12            Top wire : signal to digital pin . ex : 12
middle wire : +5 V                                            middle wire :  GND
bottom wire : GND                                           Bottom wire : + 5 V

I see a 10 K resistor, and a button. Can you check the button... connect a DMV at "OHM Check" at mddle wire and top wire ( Make sure the unit is DISCONNECTED ) you should read an "open" , let the meter test wire there and press the button and you should read a "short" , that mean the button is working and also measure the 10 K ohms resistor, it should read closely to 10 K.

My analysis of this board

johnwasser

I have bought a brick button from the shop where i bought the arduino ... i connected it to pin 0 , GND , 5 V when i press it windows disconnects my arduino... Do i need it to connect it to a digital pin or what i am doing wrong what can be the cause of my problem ?

Pin 0 is one of the serial communication pins.  Use pin 2 and up if you want Serial.print() to work.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy