Go Down

Topic: 14-pin IDC header LCD's (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

gelfling6

I ran into this awhile back, when I pulled a 24 X 2 LCD (a 24208) from a scrapped KVM switch array. In one of the tutorials, it suggests adding a female IDC connector, with the pins to the prototyping place on a protoboard.  the one I had, had a 14-pin right-angle male IDC pin header on it already, and connected to the main board of the KVM, with a ribbon cable, to another female IDC connector.

This kluge might be a little more practical.....

If your display has the 2X7 grid of dots, solder in a 14-Pin header (or 2x 7-pin headers after a shield project leaves a little extra.)
Now, on a short strip of 14-wire ribbon, crimp on a female IDC plug to one end, then a 14-pin DIP header to the other end.

Result: a adapter with the IDC on one end, and a IC-Chip like DIP header on the other end. Now.. the fun...

It depends on the maker of the DIP header. Some put pin 1 at the upper-left, some put it at the lower left.
The one I got, the DIP pin1 was wire 2 of the cable. So now, 14 becomes 1, 1 becomes 2, 13 becomes 3, 2 becomes 4....

in other words, the connections are 1,3,5,7,9,11,13  on the upper end, and 2,4,6,8,10,12,14 on the lower.  simply plug the DIP header into a breadboard, and wire the pins using the two sides, instead of all inline.

I was quite surprised, the pin-out of the LCD was still the standard 1-14 of the 1602 display.  So, hooking it up was a breeze, just a matter of changing the connecter.

Stephen (gelfling6)

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy