Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Need Help Regarding "Home Automation Through Web"  (Read 1555 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I m a Student of engineering and I want to make "Home Automation Through Web " As My FYP. In this regard i want to know that can I make a complete HTML Web page through which i can control almost 15 appliances.

some Posts  says that  through Arduino programming we can not make large web pages.

Also i have seen some examples in which it is controlling upto 2 appliances

Waiting for reply.

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Depending which Arduino you have...

With a 328, you can probably do enough html code to control all of it, just not very pretty though.

HTML requires a lot of space... especially on an Arduino where it's very limited.

On my Mega though, it's no problem. 10-15 devices is not an issue, especially if they're just Digital I/O.

However, I wrote an Android App instead, so that all the UI are handled by the Android device instead so proccessing is lower on the Arduino side. But it's definitely possible just to run everything on the arduino if it's a Mega... the 328 might be pushing it. The 168 is definitely a no go since it barely handled 4 devices code before it start crashing and doing all sorts of weird stuff.

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

In this regard i want to know that can I make a complete HTML Web page through which i can control almost 15 appliances.

You probably can make a very simple page and use latching multiplex chips with the arduino for the individual appliance controls.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

View Profile

it really depends what you define as a large webpage. You will be limited to html and java (no css etc) and the memory of the arduino is a possible contraint.

If you simply want 15+ tick boxes which can be toggled to turn lights on/off then that's easy and you will have no problem at all. Or if you want to control analoge devices (i.e. Temperature) then you can use a text field and a submit button.

As zoomkat mentioned, you will need to multiplex some of the outputs to get to 15 (or use a mega), but again that isn't too difficult.

View Profile

Thanks to all who replied

actually my target is to make the page with 20 on-off buttons,4-analogue status and some text and i also want a good looking web page so now I want to know that can I make it using Arduino UNO. Also I want to include GSM module code as a backup controller for appliances

Hamme, Belgium
View Profile

Yes we can smiley-grin

If your a smart HTML wizard, you can make a fancy website (even with multiple pages) with lots of inputs like text fields, radio buttons or checkboxes. And you can reuse HTML parts. I'll post a link to my own CastDuino project to show you what you can make.

*edit here you go: http://www.jo3ri.be/arduino/arduino-projects/castduino
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 02:53:19 pm by JO3RI » Logged

View Profile

You can make a client side html with lots of js, css and images and call the web services server (arduino + ethernet) with JSONP. The server side code could be the same for 3 ot 15 devices since you can encode the the device no in the web service call. I did that and it works on most browsers and devices.
Good luck

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

An important point to decide is if the web page is to be served from the arduino, or can it be served from another server or kept on a desktop.

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

there's no place like 127.0.0.1
View Profile

You can make a client side html with lots of js, css and images and call the web services server (arduino + ethernet) with JSONP. The server side code could be the same for 3 ot 15 devices since you can encode the the device no in the web service call. I did that and it works on most browsers and devices.
Good luck

Hi Adis.

Would you share your code for using the JSONP method? please   smiley-grin
I have been thinking along the same lines; serving a fancy webpage from an actual server, and just fetching some simple values from the arduino, to include on the fancy webpage.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: