Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Bipolar Stepper Motor Help  (Read 1466 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi every one,i have just bought Sparkfun Inventors kit from Netram in South Africa and i intend to use the Arduino to control the motion of five Bipolar stepper Motors,how can i achieve this because I am new to programmable Electronics.
Any assistance is highly welcome.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

i intend to use the Arduino to control the motion of five Bipolar stepper Motors
Pretty easy, really. Create 5 instances of the Stepper class, and call step() for the appropriate instance at the appropriate time.

The step() function will toggle the appropriate pins to tell the stepper motor driver to make the stepper motor step.

You do have appropriate stepper motor drivers for your stepper motors, right?

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

What do you intend to do with the steppers - are they to be controlled simultaneously for instance?

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

What do you intend to do with the steppers - are they to be controlled simultaneously for instance?

We are designing a gantry mechanism and it has five degrees of freedom and each degree of freedom is controlled by a stepper motor.So i have to control five stepper motors simultaneously. 

View Profile

i intend to use the Arduino to control the motion of five Bipolar stepper Motors
Pretty easy, really. Create 5 instances of the Stepper class, and call step() for the appropriate instance at the appropriate time.

The step() function will toggle the appropriate pins to tell the stepper motor driver to make the stepper motor step.

You do have appropriate stepper motor drivers for your stepper motors, right?

I have L297,L298 and L293 but i haven't yet figured out the best driver.

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

We are designing a gantry mechanism and it has five degrees of freedom and each degree of freedom is controlled by a stepper motor.So i have to control five stepper motors simultaneously. 

Then give up on the standard Stepper library, its not asynchronous.  Have a look at "AccelStepper" in the first instance.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

View Profile

Then give up on the standard Stepper library, its not asynchronous.  Have a look at "AccelStepper" in the first instance.

Let me try that,i will keep u posted as i go along with the project.

View Profile

Let me try that,i will keep u posted as i go along with the project.

Today i was implementing the Bipolar/Unipolar circuit using an L297D basing on the Beginning Arduino Text book but after i fully assembled the circuit,there was a caution that i should power my Arduino with a DC power supply,yet when i bought the arduino i forgot
to buy this adapter and if i am to buy it,it will take another month to reach me due to shipping delays,does this mean that i can't drive the Unipolar or Bipolar Motor with the power supply from the USB cable,because the text book was saying that i could overload the arduino,is there any way out?

Any assistance is highly appreciated.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

does this mean that i can't drive the Unipolar or Bipolar Motor with the power supply from the USB cable,because the text book was saying that i could overload the arduino
Your computer, not the Arduino, defines how much current it will supply via the USB cable. That limit is typically 500 milliAmps. That is generally nowhere near enough to power a stepper motor. 6 times that amount may not be enough.

is there any way out?
Proper planning in the future. Nothing now.

View Profile

does this mean that i can't drive the Unipolar or Bipolar Motor with the power supply from the USB cable,because the text book was saying that i could overload the arduino
Your computer, not the Arduino, defines how much current it will supply via the USB cable. That limit is typically 500 milliAmps. That is generally nowhere near enough to power a stepper motor. 6 times that amount may not be enough.

is there any way out?

I have just finished implementing a Unipolar stepper motor circuit(L293 Driver) with my arduino UNO and a 12V DC Power supply and its working however my objective is to control five of these stepper motors Simultaneously,Can i connect them in parallel with out using the motorshield because i dont have it,if yes how?

View Profile

is there any way out?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: