Go Down

Topic: Earthquake switch for a ceiling fan (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

kmpres

Ah, that explains a lot.  No need for fancy modulation when you can just turn the carrier on and off.  Reminds me of Morse Code.  It's also good to know that these circuits are not wildly subject to interference.  I'd been thinking that a loose ground or maybe nearby lightning was causing some people's fans to turn on by themselves, but you think it's more likely that a neighbor's fan or other nearby RF device is turning them on.  Probably not a problem for me in the Japanese country village where I live.

Thanks for the cool graphic.  It really nails the concept down for me. 

sui

Any updates? I'm really curious about this project ;)

kmpres

It will take a few weeks for parts to arrive from the US, including the fan.  I'm also studying for a big certs test so I'll be preoccupied with that until the end of the month. :smiley-roll-sweat:

In the mean time, I've added an xBee shield to the design so I can program the Arduino remotely without having to remove it from the fan. 

I'll keep you posted.

kmpres

That a good question. I installed ceiling fans for many years, I do not understand myself. Instructions for the majority of fans say that hot air rises, so in warm weather you want the fan to move air to cool the cold weather you want to push room.In warm air down. This sounds reasonable. Even in the switch will pull the air toward the right and down until you blow the air over his shoulder to the left. 

Interesting.  I'm not sure what you said but it's interesting.:D You're correct, though.  In warm weather you want the fan to blow down to directly cool the occupants.  This takes advantage of the wind-chill phenomenon.  In cool weather you want the fan to blow towards the ceiling to circulate the warm air that tends to collect there and spread it around the room.  This makes your heaters work more efficiently.

Go Up