Go Down

Topic: SerialIP library - network access without shields (Read 10835 times) previous topic - next topic

jimbo

Anyone have a clue on how to do this with OS X on a mac via the usb-serial driver?

Malvineous

Apparently the slattach command is available under OS X so I guess the Linux instructions should mostly work for Macs too, apart from the module loading part of course.

Ricco

I don't get how you are supposed to connect to the arduino. I have the manager connected but what do you do to connect?

Malvineous

Have a look on the library's wiki page and read the comments at the top of the source code for the example you're compiling.  If that still doesn't answer your questions let me know why and I'll update it.

Ricco

well in the example the setup is for linux but i'm using xp.

gwen

Jul 10, 2010, 10:51 am Last Edit: Jul 10, 2010, 10:51 am by gwen Reason: 1
Hi there,
 I hadnt seen slip since about 1992.. yes it works like a charm hooked up to debian 5.0(under vmware fusion/OSX).

hmm I am currently looking at wrappering the telnetd/shell example to arduino and replacing the shell with bitlash(www.bitlash.net) and running the result on either sanguino(644P) or arduino Mega 1280P.
Still looking at uip sources at this point and talking to the author of bitlash about possible attachment points/glue code.

gwen

laxman

well in the example the setup is for linux but i'm using xp.

AverageGuy

I did a google for slip and cygwin and came up with a few hits.  I suspect there might be a way to support this on MS Windows via cygwin.  Since I only boot windows once a year to do my taxes I'm not very interested in pursuing it, but I just thought I'd suggest a possible method of getting it working on MS systems.

Jim

zoomkat

Going back in time, for windows machines the old DUN 1.3 (dial up networking, below) might still work. Back in the day I ran the netmeeting video conference application between two windows machines using a parallel port data cable. I think it also had the option to run over the serial port. It had an option to connect the parallel port connected computer to the internet thru the main computer somewhat similar to the MS ICS setup.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191494
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

zoomkat

Update, DUN 1.3 will only load on windows 95. I did some quick looking and some of the same features appear to exist on XP. Go to start > settings > network connections > new network wizard. Start the new connection wizard and select setup advanced connection. Then select connect allow incomming connections. An "incomming" setup will appear in the network connections. Then look at setting up ICS in the advanced setup of the LAN connections.
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

Go Up