SerialIP library - network access without shields

This sounds really nice, though I was wondering if there really isn't any sort of way to use this with Windows 7.. Can't exactly install XP on this machine seeing as the hardware is too new, so.. Anyone with the know-how to rig this up on newer windows systems?

For those looking for some info on how to set this up under windows.

Windows XP: http://www.sics.se/~bg/telos/slipintro.pdf

Windows 7: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7network/thread/24d3913a-46f1-4673-a358-1e80366675df

Greetings,
EriSan500

mmh, i've done that exactly...

stops while calling....
then Error 777.

:frowning:

Ok, i try it tomorrow on another PC... maybe it works there...

Thank you
ChrisS

I found a trial version of a program that is supposed to provide SLIP support on Vista, maybe you could give that a go and see if it works? http://www.ngsoft.com/category/SLIP

Wow, Ping works.... no Paketloss... but i can't get a connection via telnet... on Port 1000.

While configured on Port1000 connecting to Port80 is possible... getting cryptic chars on screen.

I have also reduced speed to check if it is a speed problem...
the same...

No connection to 1000 via telnet, Port 80 throws some cryptic chars...

If i call IP with a browser... there is a white screen.... on Port 80, on 1000 nothing happens.

1st Step is made... idea to get further steps done?

Thank you for that hint with Slip-Connection-Manager...

Greetings ChrisS

ADDITION:
Ok, i disconnected Arduino from PC...
Ping is possible too... delivered by ConnectionManager...
i will give up in this... buying an Ethernetshield :slight_smile:

Thank you.... and bye bye... :slight_smile:
ChrisS

It's port 10,000 not port 1000 :slight_smile: Make sure you are pinging the correct IP address (the one belonging to the Arduino, not the one your connection manager is using.)

You will need to assign a static IP to the connection manager network interface, make sure this is not the IP of the Arduino! (But it must be in the same subnet, see the docs for an example.)

Ahm,

10.000 .... are you sure? :slight_smile:

confused

Greetings ChrisS

SLIP connection set up under Linux:
 *  # modprobe slip
 *  # slattach -L -s 115200 -p slip /dev/ttyUSB0     (see note below)
 *  # ifconfig sl0 192.168.5.1 dstaddr 192.168.5.2
 *  # ping 192.168.5.2
 *  # telnet 192.168.5.2 1000
  // Listen for incoming connections on TCP port 1000.  Each incoming
  // connection will result in the uip_callback() function being called.
  SerialIP.listen(1000);

Gah ok, sorry, was thinking of the wrong project :blush: Port 1000 is correct.

It still sounds like the connection manager IPs weren't being assigned correctly though, you should see the RX/TX LEDs blink when you ping the Arduino, if the IPs and gateway are set correctly on your PC (the RX LED will blink even if you don't have the firmware installed, because the PC will send the ping message regardless. You just won't get a response/TX blink until you flash something using SerialIP.)

Ok, i will give it a last try now...

Greetings
ChrisS

Anyone have a clue on how to do this with OS X on a mac via the usb-serial driver?

Apparently the slattach command is available under OS X so I guess the Linux instructions should mostly work for Macs too, apart from the module loading part of course.

I don't get how you are supposed to connect to the arduino. I have the manager connected but what do you do to connect?

Have a look on the library's wiki page and read the comments at the top of the source code for the example you're compiling. If that still doesn't answer your questions let me know why and I'll update it.

well in the example the setup is for linux but i'm using xp.

Hi there,
I hadnt seen slip since about 1992.. yes it works like a charm hooked up to debian 5.0(under vmware fusion/OSX).

hmm I am currently looking at wrappering the telnetd/shell example to arduino and replacing the shell with bitlash(www.bitlash.net) and running the result on either sanguino(644P) or arduino Mega 1280P.
Still looking at uip sources at this point and talking to the author of bitlash about possible attachment points/glue code.

gwen

well in the example the setup is for linux but i'm using xp.

I did a google for slip and cygwin and came up with a few hits. I suspect there might be a way to support this on MS Windows via cygwin. Since I only boot windows once a year to do my taxes I'm not very interested in pursuing it, but I just thought I'd suggest a possible method of getting it working on MS systems.

Jim

Going back in time, for windows machines the old DUN 1.3 (dial up networking, below) might still work. Back in the day I ran the netmeeting video conference application between two windows machines using a parallel port data cable. I think it also had the option to run over the serial port. It had an option to connect the parallel port connected computer to the internet thru the main computer somewhat similar to the MS ICS setup.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/191494

Update, DUN 1.3 will only load on windows 95. I did some quick looking and some of the same features appear to exist on XP. Go to start > settings > network connections > new network wizard. Start the new connection wizard and select setup advanced connection. Then select connect allow incomming connections. An "incomming" setup will appear in the network connections. Then look at setting up ICS in the advanced setup of the LAN connections.