Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Dual Core 168 Arduino  (Read 3350 times)
Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

How can  I find that solder bridge/pad thing in Eagle? No idea what it is called.

Look at "SJ" in the "jumper" library.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

@Rob,
I could use the pads from a small surface mount part I suppose. I am a rookie when it comes to creating eagle symbols. Just haven't done enough with them. And freaking Vista keeps stuffing things in some virtual users folder so I can't find them when I want to re-use them!

@James,
Thanks, will check that out tonight.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Seattle, WA
View Profile

And freaking Vista keeps stuffing things in some virtual users folder so I can't find them when I want to re-use them!

Shudder.  Ya know, if you have an .edu account you can get an upgrade to Windows 7 pro for $27.  Then take Vista out back and shoot it.  Win7 sucks much, much less.

Just Sayin'...

-- buzzdavidson: proud anti-windows curmudgeon since 1990. 

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Thanks, will look into that via my college alumnus account. Where do I go for the upgrade?

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

Seattle, WA
View Profile

Sorry, it's $29.99, not $27.   Still a whole lot cheaper than retail.  You need an active .edu email for verification.

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/pd/productID.216644200

Be forewarned - the license allows upgrading from ANY previous version of windows, but the Windows activation procedure will fail without any useful information if you attempt to install on a clean hard drive.  Nothing a call to M$ won't fix, but still an aggravation.  I'd recommend backing up all of your data and doing a "clean upgrade" from the win7 installer rather than attempting the automated upgrade, especially from Vista.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Oh, that's gonna suck. I've got tons of programs installed.  Just re-loading Office 2007 takes forever.

Seattle, WA
View Profile

You could try an in-place upgrade, but keep an eye out for general flakiness.  Back when I was actually doing production Windows development I would routinely do a fresh install once every 6 months, kept the machine running smoothly.  Windows systems still seem subject to inevitable bit rot that causes performance and stability issues after a few months.  If you haven't done a clean install in a while, I'd highly recommend it - it's like having a new machine.

Waiting for the M$ fanboys to jump to the platform's defense... it's inevitable. smiley-razz 

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

The machine works fine otherwise, continually updates itself. Its just that annoying process of burying everything in isolated user folders that I hate. Yesterday I hunted around to find all the eagle libraries and moved them up to the c:/program files/Eagle 5.11/lbr folder so they all show up now.   Did the same with Arduino, moved it to c:/arduino-0022 instead of some buried virtual folder.  And it's still not recognized as an installed program so .pde's won't open with a double click.
Things like that are annoying, and having to confirm everything all the time.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

I refuse to allow any program to use the stupid "My xxx" folders or anything like them. Everything goes under a single "work" folder on D drive and is therefore easy to both find and backup.

Of course some programs don't give you a choice, like the stupid IDE, why they force us to look in an obscure temp folder I don't know but I suppose it's something to do with hiding the details from non-programmers. If that's the case it should be an option that can be selected by those who do want to control things.

I doubt swapping to 7 will change anything, I've thought about doing so but it would be just too painful. What I have done is disable nearly all the clever graphics etc on Vista. It now looks like XP and runs a lot faster.

having to confirm everything all the time
Disable UAC.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Ok, found the SJ, added them to in the XTAL2 lines, with one connected and 1 not.

* dual328_xtal2_jumper.jpg (159.88 KB, 960x720 - viewed 17 times.)

Seattle, WA
View Profile

I doubt swapping to 7 will change anything, I've thought about doing so but it would be just too painful. What I have done is disable nearly all the clever graphics etc on Vista. It now looks like XP and runs a lot faster.

You're absolutely correct, especially in regards to Crossroads' original complaint.  Upgrading won't change a thing - you're still running Windows <g>...  M$ did a lot of work in Win7 to streamline things though, and a clean install can provide some staggering performance improvements.  Vista is a pig, even with all of the graphics crap turned off.  Win7 removes a lot of that bloat.

Keep in mind that you could try out a new clean install without changing a thing - just buy a new hard drive, install win7, install a few programs and mess around with it.  If you still decide it's too painful, swap the original drive back in and you're no worse off than you were to begin with.

BTW, if upgrading would be incredibly painful, you may want to look really closely at your backup strategy...  Just sayin'.  Hard drives DO fail.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

you may want to look really closely at your backup strategy
I've got a reasonable system in place, including off-site storage. But I only backup work files, not programs.

Your right though, reloading the OS on a clean disk is the best way to clear the accumulate crap from a machine.

_____
Rob

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
View Profile

Well, backups do no good if you have to reinstall the applications. Sure, you've got your data, but nothing to run them.

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Hard drives DO fail.

As well as software... If the software used to make backups has restore bugs then you're just ... well ... you know.  Which is why I will never again trust Microsoft or Roxio for backups.

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
View Profile

backups do no good if you have to reinstall the applications
Yep, but reinstalling apps is an inconvenience, not a disaster. As with other things in life I only insure against disasters, everything else I deal with myself.

______
Rob

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Jump to: