Go Down

Topic: SD module problem (Read 162 times) previous topic - next topic

fabiosn

Dec 30, 2014, 01:26 pm Last Edit: Dec 30, 2014, 01:39 pm by fabiosn Reason: Couldn't attach images for some reason
Hi, everyone.

I'm trying to run the CardInfo example to test this SD module, but I keep getting the "initilization failed" message.

Here is the setup:

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

robtillaart

where does the SD card gets 5V from?
I only see GND connected

cannot see the SD break out connections.
Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

fabiosn

where does the SD card gets 5V from?
I only see GND connected

cannot see the SD break out connections.

The rightmost yellow jumper is on 5V.

SurferTim

Those SD boards are notorious for fails like this. It does not have a logic level converter. The 4 resistors you see on that board are pullup resistors connected to the 3.3v power bus.

Putting a digital 5 volt line from the Arduino into a 3.3 volt input on the SD card can have unpredictable and sometimes destructive results to either the Arduino or the SD card.

luisilva

Dec 30, 2014, 02:14 pm Last Edit: Dec 30, 2014, 02:16 pm by luisilva
I don't know what is your code, but I have an SD module like yours and it works for me. I tested it with this code. BTW, I use an Arduino MEGA, but I think it have no influence in this.

fabiosn

Those SD boards are notorious for fails like this. It does not have a logic level converter. The 4 resistors you see on that board are pullup resistors connected to the 3.3v power bus.

Putting a digital 5 volt line from the Arduino into a 3.3 volt input on the SD card can have unpredictable and sometimes destructive results to either the Arduino or the SD card.

Should I try the 3.3V pin?

SurferTim

It is the digital data lines (SCK, MOSI, and SS) that cause the problems, not the power supply to the SD card. A level converter of some type is recommended.

fabiosn

I don't know what is your code, but I have an SD module like yours and it works for me. I tested it with this code. BTW, I use an Arduino MEGA, but I think it have no influence in this.
Still no luck. Really lost here.

I've tried four different SD cards after formatting them, but  nothing changed.

fabiosn

It is the digital data lines (SCK, MOSI, and SS) that cause the problems, not the power supply to the SD card. A level converter of some type is recommended.

I don't have one. Is there anything else I could do?

SurferTim

Not the most efficient, but you can use a voltage divider. Connect the SD card MOSI pin to the '^' in this schematic. Do the same to the SCK and SS lines.

MOSI - 1Kohm - ^ - 2Kohm - GND

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy