Comparison of Arduino Starter kits

Hey folks, I've posted a second part to this, including 5 more kits (3 from the UK.) Thanks for the recommendations...

Edit: Link my be important :slight_smile:

Very nice article.

However, looks like you didn't actually read the book :wink:

Also, the reason my kit is called "Arduino Compatible" is because I had it advertised as an Arduino Starter Kit and Mr. Banzi sent me an email to say that I wasn't allowed to call it that as I did not have an Arduino Board in the kit, but had a Freeduino Board. I believe this makes it confusing for the customer but there is not a lot I can do about that. As far as I am concerned the word 'Arduino' doesn't mean the board as there is also the IDe and the Bootloader. The Freeduino Boards use the same IDE and Bootloader and the hardware is also identical.

The ony way i can call the kit an Arduino Starter Kit is by putting a genuine Arduino in it and the only way I can order Arduino's is through tinker.it in the UK with a minimum order of £500 before VAT and P&P.

Indeed the kit is HUGE and is set to get bigger as the next incarantion will have 2 x 7-segment displays and a 16x2 LCD display for NO extra cost :slight_smile:

Thanks Mike,

Yeah, I haven't read the book. I just saw that recently you released the book for free. I'll take a look at it when I get a moment. I'm very interested. When I had written the section on your kit, the book wasn't available. (I'll make a note in the article.)

I made an extra effort to point out that a compatible board is just as good as an official one. I want beginners to be clear that they don't have to go with the official board. I think it's great you went with a Freeduino. It's just as good, shows the spirit of the whole thing, and brings down costs, which is pretty great for everyone.

For those in India, I'd like to recommend Bhasha:

http://www.bhasha.co.cc/

They make Freeduino boards - I have purchased 2 from them, and the experience was great. (I have no affiliation with them.)

This artcile is about Starter Kits. Do they do Starter Kits?

I've seen that company before and they are very expensive.

This artcile is about Starter Kits. Do they do Starter Kits?

I just looked, and actually their "kit" consists of only the power supply and cables, so I guess really they don't qualify.

I've seen that company before and they are very expensive.

I found them to have reasonable prices. The Freeduino (Decimilia compatible) USB board from them costs Rs. 1300 (about US$ 26)

http://www.bhasha.co.cc/product.php?id_product=22

I have not found any other seller for Freeduino/Arduino in India. Buying from US/UK is much more expensive because of shipping charges and customs duty imposed by the Indian Govt.

I'm using the projects pack from makershed.com and I'm happy so far. :slight_smile:

Hi,
We have recently launched Basic Component Kit for our arduino/freeduino/sanguino boards. This basic component kit has enough components to get you started on arduino platform and become a pro.

Check out http://www.bhasha.co.cc/product.php?id_product=36

Your comments and feedback are welcome, if you think we need to add any specific components ...do let us know

And quite cheap...around $12....as compared to others...

rgds
Sharya :slight_smile:

Sid,

Forgive me if I've missed this, but it doesn't look like your kit actually includes an Arduino of any kind. $12 would be an amazing price if it included an official Arduino, or even a free Arduino variant. With the Freeduino you offer, the total would be more around $35.00, still a good deal I think for what your customer is getting. You should offer the components kit with a Arduino Compatible device.

SirCastor,

Thanks for your feedback, well actually we are offering multiple variants of Arduino/Freeduino/Sanguino boards with different configurations. Most of our customers are happy to pick the board of their choice whether its Arduino Severino, Lilypad, Freeduino Serial, Freeduino USB, Freeduino Lite or even the powerful Sanguino and then get the Basic Component kit as an add-on accessory. So we have left the choice to the end user. Something like a product configurator, which is working out well.

Plus our recent tie up with Indian Postal Service (SpeedPost) has got down the domestic and international prices by 40% which also works in favour of our customers.

Win-Win situation for everybody :slight_smile:

I'd like to disagree with your comments that the piezo sounds aren't pretty!
See my post: "Pinging (literally)"

Where does it say that?

Piezoelectric Sounder – Make noise with this? but don't plan on it being pretty.

Under one of the kits in the second part of the reviews.

Awesome writeup sircastor! Kinda wish I had found it before I got my kit. Love the image mouse-over popups too.

I did a write-up of the kit I got, the Arduino Experimentation Kit from RobotShop.ca. Looks like the kits you reviewed all came more than my kit did.

Indeed the kit is HUGE and is set to get bigger as the next incarantion will have 2 x 7-segment displays and a 16x2 LCD display for NO extra cost

When will these 2 things be added? :)?

Although in your 2nd part you admit to being a bit sick of starter kits, I'd like to point anyones attention to the Fritzing starter kit (Fritzing - electronics made easy). It is more or less comparable to the Adafruit starter kit (from what I saw), it's contents is on that page. It is reasonably priced at 55 euro (ex VAT), certainly if you keep in mind that you support the work on the Fritzing tool ("With the purchase of one starter kit you are supporting one hour of bug-fixing."). Oh and last but not least: they are very friendly over at Frizing!

PS: not affiliated and so on, of course

I would be careful of the earthshine design starter kit. I ordered mine over a week ago, and he has my money, but the order is sitll at the processing stage. I have tried contacting him via the website and e-mail but not repsonse yet. Currently it does not matter how good the start kit is if you can't actually buy it.

A couple more to look at.

very basic starter pack

an advance starter pack

an advance starter pack that includes the making things talk book which is a great arduino guide.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm in the process of updating my information and moving it to a more permanent page that'll be kept up-to-date, As well as be a little more readable.

If anyone else has kits they'd like to see in the list, I'll be happy to add it. I'd like to make my list as comprehensive as possible. My requirements are that the kit ought to be known as an Arduino kit, and should at least be offered with an Arduino/Freeduino. In otherwords, no General electronics kits for beginners.

Just and update: I got a e-mail from earthshine design late Thursday and I received the kit this morning (Saturday). I must say I am impressed with this kit, and the time he has put into the manual.