Go Down

Topic: * MP3 Shield * - Rogue Robotics rMP3 (Read 44 times) previous topic - next topic

Vertigo

Hi and happy 2011 to all ! :D

I just tested my newly arrived rMP3 on an Arduino Mega 2560 with the arduino 0022 IDE.
I rerouted the rMP3 #6 and #7 pins to the mega's #19 and #18 (serial1), as per http://www.roguerobotics.com/wikidocs/code/rmp3_on_an_arduino_mega
(in fact I rerouted from the pin pads in order to be able to stack shieds above the rMP3).

Then I installed the rMP3 library, and tested the example given in the above-linked page, and it worked immediately ! GREAT !!!  8-)

I'm surprised because I thought I would have to do the "Core-stream-baseclass thing" ( http://www.roguerobotics.com/wikidocs/code/arduino_serial_base_class ) to make it work, but it seems that on the Arduino Mega, it's unneeded. Am I right ? I have the feeling it is because with the Mega's Serial1, the Softwareserial lib is not used, whereas it was on smaller boards ?

Is it so simple ? should I still do the Stream Class update for any reason, e.g. more-advanced use of the rMP3 features in the future ?

bhagman

Jan 03, 2011, 06:48 pm Last Edit: Jan 03, 2011, 10:49 pm by bhagman Reason: 1
@Vertigo: I assume you're using Arduino IDE 0022?

If so, there is no need to do anything else.  Since 0022, the full Stream base class is now part of the core.

If you do use the rMP3 on the Arduino Uno/Duemilanove, you'll likely need to use NewSoftSerial.  I've worked with Mikal (maintainer of NewSoftSerial) so that NewSoftSerial inherits from Stream (as well as support for the "mega" boards).  I'm not exactly sure when Mikal intends to release the new version of NewSoftSerial.  In the meantime, I have a version available here.

b

--

Check out our rKey Capacitive Touch Switch

nerotix

That is awesome! Thanks a lot for the knowledge mate!

Vertigo

Hi,

I'm happy to hear that since 0022, the rMP3 shield is fully compatible.

I've been playing with it a bit, plugged to 2 small 8ohm speakers in series (to match the 16 ohm output impedance, and my sound file is mono): the output sound is very low, especially for bass.
Before thinking about how to add an amplifier, I wanted to try the volume and boost settings of the rMP3.

from http://www.roguerobotics.com/wikidocs/code/library/arduino/roguemp3 :

Code: [Select]
setvolume(byte newvolume) - sets the volume (both left and right to same value).

setboost(...) - sets the audio boost enhancement.

hmm ... I managed to understand from different sources that setvolume(0) is max output, and that setboost works something as :

Code: [Select]
setboost(bass_amp [0 - 15], bass_freq [0 - 15], treble_amp [-8 - +7], treble_freq [0 - 15])

Is that right ? what bass/treble frequency range are covered by the [0 - 15] range ? how do the amp values work ?

In a more general perspective, I trust in rMP3 as a very useful and handy device (I bought 3 for my project), but now that it is fully compatible, is it not time for a synthesized documentation, in a single, linear document ? I know everybody's busy, but I have the feeling that at the present moment, important bits of info are spread over in the rogue wiki, which can be an obstacle for "base" users like me.
bhagman, if you agree to put together this "simple" user manual, I can offer some of my time if you feel the need for a french translation.  :)

What do you guys think ?

Vertigo.

mowcius

Jan 05, 2011, 11:33 am Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011, 11:33 am by mowcius Reason: 1
I've been playing with it a bit, plugged to 2 small 8ohm speakers in series (to match the 16 ohm output impedance, and my sound file is mono): the output sound is very low, especially for bass.
Before thinking about how to add an amplifier, I wanted to try the volume and boost settings of the rMP3.

This depends completely on the speakers but an amplifier will generally be a good idea.

In a more general perspective, I trust in rMP3 as a very useful and handy device (I bought 3 for my project), but now that it is fully compatible, is it not time for a synthesized documentation, in a single, linear document ? I know everybody's busy, but I have the feeling that at the present moment, important bits of info are spread over in the rogue wiki, which can be an obstacle for "base" users like me.

I also agree but it would be a lot of work and I presume you are talking about an arduino rMP3 document (with the arduino libraries) rather than simply a document on the rMP3 module as a whole. I have been working off and on with bhagman to suggest ways to tidy up the website a bit, perhaps now I have also got to grips with it a bit more, I can help more with this and a document specifically for the rMP3 explaining the major features if not everything the module can do yet.

I'm impressed you have 3 of them, what's the project?  :)

Mowcius

Go Up