Go Down

Topic: [Solved] Program Pro Mini w/ usb serial dongle? (Read 2640 times) previous topic - next topic

bilbo

Shippo, that is what I mean, and it works very well. The arduino already has an ftdi, so why buy another?
Alice asked the Chesire Cat, who was sitting in a tree, "What road do I take?"
The cat asked, "Where do you want to go?"
"I don't know," Ali

CrossRoads

The Promini does not have an FTDI. Just the TTL lines that the FTDI connects to.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

shippo0708

@CrossRoads
I think he means the duemalinove has ftdi so use that to connect the promini

bilbo

Sorry for being unclear, that is what I mean. Buying another ftdi makes no sense when you already have one in the duemalinove .
Alice asked the Chesire Cat, who was sitting in a tree, "What road do I take?"
The cat asked, "Where do you want to go?"
"I don't know," Ali

CrossRoads

Ah, yes, too much involvement in too many threads I guess.
I modified my Duemilanove with 4 pins at the X3 connector & bootloaded parts with this method:
http://www.geocities.jp/arduino_diecimila/bootloader/index_en.html
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

retrolefty

Sorry for being unclear, that is what I mean. Buying another ftdi makes no sense when you already have one in the duemalinove .

OK, to use the FTDI on your duem... to upload to the pro mini:

Remove 328 chip from socket on the duem.
Wire duem tx pin to promini tx pin.
wire duem rx pin to promini rx pin.
wire duem reset pin to promini DTR pin
wire duem ground pin to promini ground pin
wire duem +5vdc pin to promini Vcc pin  // ignore this if powering promini in some other way

Select promini type board in IDE, select normal comm port number used by the duem, load sketch, press upload.

Lefty

shippo0708

Aug 21, 2011, 01:58 am Last Edit: Aug 21, 2011, 02:17 am by shippo0708 Reason: 1
YAY IT WORKS LOL..

i know this is nitpicking but is there a way to keep from removing the duem's chip? jc

retrolefty

YAY IT WORKS LOL..

i know this is nitpicking but is there a way to keep from removing the duem's chip? jc

Yes there is, if you are willing to give up the auto-reset when uploading feature the IDE uses when uploading sketches to the mini board, which would then require you to press and hold the reset button on the mini, and only release it when the arduion first reports the size of the compiled sketch. Just wire a jumper from ground to the duem's reset pin, and don't run a wire from the duem reset pin to the mini. This will disable the 328 and result in all pins defaulting to input mode.

Lefty

shippo0708

Alright thanks, that helps a lot :P
the setup looks weird but i wont really be using the pro mini unless i have a project to do...

Is the duem capable of reading code off other atmel chips?? i found 2 atmega8's laying around and i wanted to see what was written on them before i try and burn a bootloader on them

retrolefty

Is the duem capable of reading code off other atmel chips?? i found 2 atmega8's laying around and i wanted to see what was written on them before i try and burn a bootloader on them

In theory, if the duem is running the Arduino as ISP sketch, but what you get back is not a sketch, not even a C program, just maching language instructions, not readable by any but the most experianced assembly language gurus.

Lefty

shippo0708

are there any guides here for that sort of thing?

CrossRoads

"not readable by any but the most experianced assembly language gurus"

"are there any guides here for that sort of thing?"

I 'm sure someone has written a decompiler that can take bytes and reverse to assembly.
Without knowing what the circuit was that is was connected, I don't think it will do you much good.

shippo0708

Probably not to make any sense out of the code and what it actually does, i just wanted to see if i ever managed to get code on there back in my clueless wii-hacking days (the chips were part of the chiip mod-chip for wii) :P

i would have to wait until the end of my class this season before i could even remotely understand the assembly

CrossRoads

Sure, power it up then and put a 10K resistor to LED to ground, and to power, see if the outputs wiggle at all.

shippo0708

-_- can't now lol i fried one of them i think (comes up as invalid device signature)

But i managed to burn the loader to the other one

Go Up