Go Down

Topic: FORUM MIGRATION SCHEDULED JAN 24th (Read 23 times) previous topic - next topic

Federico

Perhaps it could be possible to integrate the actual forum in the search engine of the new one? Hope this is "migration" is decided not to have less duplicates, because I think that the same questions are going to be asked forever...
Federico - Sideralis
Arduino &C: http://www.sideralis.org
Foto: http://blackman.amicofigo.com

Osgeld

Jan 18, 2011, 06:50 pm Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011, 06:52 pm by Osgeld Reason: 1
as for moving the data, it is actually pretty simple, thing is ... if you are willing to rearrange 350664 Posts within 49236 Topics from 37469 registered members into the categories of the new forum, I will be more than happy to pass the task over to you guys.

I will do it, that is one of the things a computer can handle, now which forum system are you moving to so I can start to prepare, and when can I expect a copy of the data

not joking (I may not be successful but I will at least try my best, and I have moved a forum nearly as large over 4 systems to get from A to B with a rotten database)

cr0sh

I may not be successful but I will at least try my best, and I have moved a forum nearly as large over 4 systems to get from A to B with a rotten database

Be careful what you ask for, Osgeld... ;)

Based on the blog posting (and I may be completely wrong about this), there seemed to be the implication that this current forum -isn't- using a DB back-end under Perl (flat text files, anyone?)...

If true, such a system could be a real nightmare to migrate without some serious script-fu to stuff the data from those files into a DB properly. It wouldn't be impossible, but it wouldn't be quick nor easy, either.

Good luck if you manage to pull the task!

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Osgeld

it is a flat file system, but step 1 is to get it into SMF,which there are scripts available already, from there it can be converted to just about anything
;)

mowcius

Jan 18, 2011, 09:36 pm Last Edit: Jan 18, 2011, 09:36 pm by mowcius Reason: 1
as for moving the data, it is actually pretty simple, thing is ... if you are willing to rearrange 350664 Posts within 49236 Topics from 37469 registered members into the categories of the new forum, I will be more than happy to pass the task over to you guys.

Yeah I'm willing to help with this.

So - how is "number of posts" going to be handled? Will everybody go back to "newbie" status? How will real newbies (ie - those who just bought their first Arduino Uno) know the "old timer god members" (those who have had an Arduino for a while, or those who have an original hand-soldered homebuilt ATMega8 board from way-back-when)?

Also a concern.

Presumably post counts could be manually edited in the system. Give everyone the post count they currently have.
Also what about 'member since' - is that going to be reverted? - Please no...

And my private messages?
Good Evening mowcius, you have 274 messages, and no new messages.

What's to happen with them if the system gets changed - can I still access them at least?

Mowcius

Go Up