Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down
Author Topic: why no curly brackets in blink without delay ?  (Read 5782 times)
Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I attempted to address that a while back with an "elapsed time" class:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=11094

That handles the subtracting method of calculating delays (correctly doing wrap-around) and is fairly simple. The example also illustrates doing two delays. I think showing at least two delays makes it more obvious how to handle three or more.

Probably the main objection is that it hides the "real" technique behind a library, but then don't most low-level functions do the same thing? For example, delay() itself. (OK a function rather than a library, but there are time you don't really need to know the low-level detail).

New Jersey
Faraday Member
View Profile

At least two, but many if it doesn't add too much complexity to use as a good self-teaching tool. More just to show that millis() can be used to track multiple time intervals used by multiple processes within a sketch. I just think the existing blink without delay example sketch is 'too simple' to show off the power and usefullness of the millis() function.
Sounds more like a case for adding another example - leave the simple version as it is to make it as easy as possible to follow.

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Probably the main objection is that it hides the "real" technique behind a library, but then don't most low-level functions do the same thing? For example, delay() itself. (OK a function rather than a library, but there are time you don't really need to know the low-level detail).

Very nice implementation Nick. I would not hesitate to recommend it's usage. It would be best if a beginner at least tried to study the .cpp code to understand proper usage of millis() and how and why to properly subtract the interval amount, before using this library, but either way it sure might help in the fight against the nasty delay() function.  smiley-wink

London, GB
Nothing works.
View Profile

I’d reach into the microprocessor’s whatsit accumulator register thingy where it keeps things in consciousness, and put my foot over all the most significant bits except the least three, to stop the big ones moving, then using my hands, rotate the least three significant bits just once. Then step back and make a cup of tea.

Dallas, Texas
God Member
View Profile

Dragging this back to the initial topic, when considering when to and not to use curly brackets, I always ask "WWDRD?"

Faraday Member
20 LEDs are enough
View Profile

IMHO millis should not be used to control multiple process. Something like the mstimer2 library seems *much* more appropriate to me. Unfortunately it requires timer2. However I think we should go along the line of a suitable library.

Check out my experiments http://blog.blinkenlight.net

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up
Jump to: