RF Explorer - Arduino coprocesor Expansion Board

Background: RF Explorer is a handheld spectrum analyzer which can be used on all popular ISM bands, to keep this thread short I won't extend much on current capabilities, you can get more info at http://www.rf-explorer.com. Let me know if you need any more details.

We already have some Expansion Modules that can be plugged in the RF Explorer main unit to extend the frequency coverage to a new band. For instance, a main unit working in the 868MHz band can be extended to cover 2.4GHz band as well.

Now the question: Some users wanted to customize the way RF Explorer works. Probably the best way to do that is to offer an Arduino compatible Expansion Module which will embed an ATMega328 which will communicate with the main MCU of RF Explorer to manipulate screen and RF parameters to fully automate the custom action you may want. It will also expose some external header connectors to give the ATMega328 with external connectivity to the world for additional functionality.

A simple example of a custom application could be:

• Arduino board takes control and show a custom logo on the screen
  • Arduino command the MCU to set the transceiver at a given frequency and modulation type, for instance OOK 4800bps at 433.92MHz
  • Arduino starts receiving packets and, when a specific data is received, it fires a buzzer connected to the headers for an alarm

Suggestions, ideas are welcome.

Thanks in advance!

No build in Arduino, but a bidirectional serial interface to the RF explorer would be great. 115200,n,8,1
OPtional a signal strength indicator that delivers 0..5V so it can be connected to an analog in.

robtillaart:
No build in Arduino, but a bidirectional serial interface to the RF explorer would be great. 115200,n,8,1
OPtional a signal strength indicator that delivers 0..5V so it can be connected to an analog in.

If I understand you correctly, do you mean you see value in an external connection, not bypassed by Arduino, which allows you to connect RS232 directly, together with a analog indicator?

That can be done and will be cheap, but won't allow users to customize the device except by using external circuitry which makes the whole solution more fragile.

Note external connectivity is available already, although through USB.

Any schematic drawing avalible for the RF Explorer? The Arduino platform, being open sourced hardware, has kind of spoiled us in our expectations of what great documentation can be like. SparkFun seems now to provide such open documentation on most all their break-out and prototype modules.

Lefty

retrolefty:
Any schematic drawing avalible for the RF Explorer? The Arduino platform, being open sourced hardware, has kind of spoiled us in our expectations of what great documentation can be like. SparkFun seems now to provide such open documentation on most all their break-out and prototype modules.

Lefty

Sure, please refer to Hacker's corner page.

Cheers

Thanks for that and I did look for it before asking, but I still can't seem find a link or download button for a schematic drawing?

Lefty

retrolefty:
Thanks for that and I did look for it before asking, but I still can't seem find a link or download button for a schematic drawing?
Lefty

Hi Lefty,

Direct link is here, you can get to the same point from the wiki...

• Ariel

pls, is there a drawing to show how the RF is being interface with the arduino. generally, pls explain how it work with RF. thanks