Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Down
Author Topic: Arduino Eclipse Plugin <Update>  (Read 67583 times)
Battlefield, Missouri USA
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi Jantje,

I'd like to point out that I downloaded the Eclipse Classic (Eclipse Indigo / 3.7.1 / eclipse-SDK-3.7.1-win32.zip) and added the C/C++ tools, and the plugin works great.

I believe that the only differences between that and "Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers" are the plugins that come with it. I think that you just need to install the ""C/C++ Development Tools" (CDT). I do have other plugins installed, so I may be wrong about that. But I know it's working, and that's the version of Eclipse I installed.  smiley-cool

However, I am familiar with Eclipse and I'm a professional programmer who has written C/C++ for a long time. I do think your recommendation is best for general instructions. I just wanted to mention this for the more experienced people that may already have another version installed.

Since I said it works great, I have to say that I've found a couple of problems.  smiley-red They're relatively minor, though. smiley

The first is something you wouldn't normally do. Import an Arduino library; delete the folder it creates; then import the same library again. This breaks the build. It looks like it's including a relative path twice. E.g., import SPI twice and the path(s) in the project read "SPI/SPI". Import a 3rd time and you'll see "SPI/SPI/SPI".

The second is that projects created are not portable; either across platforms, or even across folders. By across folders I mean that if I rename a workspace folder, then open the workspace (in the renamed folder), I get errors that I didn't get before. This is something I hadn't tried with Eclipse before, and since the Arduino plugin does not create the workspace, I tend to think it is an Eclipse issue.

What I'd really like is to be able to commit a project file to GitHub and allow collaborators to 1) download and build the project and 2) modify the project and push the changes so that I could pull them down and build.

I've not looked into either issue. I plan to install Ubuntu on my Linux box this weekend and see what's involved. So I may be able to provide more details. (I do know that the project doesn't work as-is on Linux because a friend couldn't build unless he created another Arduino project and imported the files.)

Finally, you should take the thanks seriously! IMO, This is a very important project. I do appreciate it, as I think others do, too.

Best regards,
Leland...

View Profile

Everyone,

I forgot one thing, that is a good thing.  smiley-cool

You do not have to live with Indexer errors when using Serial. What you want is:

#include <HardwareSerial.h>
extern HardwareSerial Serial;

That gives you the "normal" serial. For the Mega you have Serial1 through Serial4.

I did tweak the settings for Indexer. If this information isn't enough, please let me know and I'll post a screenshot.

Leland...

View Profile

I've just started trying to use the eclipse plugin and am having a null pointer exception in the baeyens library. This occurs after I've selected the "Import a arduino library in the current project" as soon as I hit Next. I then get an Unhandled event loop exception error. The contents of the error log are as follows:

java.lang.NullPointerException
   at it.baeyens.arduino.tools.Import_Arduino_Library_Page.setImportProject(Import_Arduino_Library_Page.java:146)
   at it.baeyens.arduino.tools.Import_Arduino_Library.init(Import_Arduino_Library.java:41)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.WorkbenchWizardNode.getWizard(WorkbenchWizardNode.java:185)
   at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardSelectionPage.getNextPage(WizardSelectionPage.java:104)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.WorkbenchWizardSelectionPage.getNextPage(WorkbenchWizardSelectionPage.java:100)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.dialogs.ImportExportPage.getNextPage(ImportExportPage.java:431)
   at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.nextPressed(WizardDialog.java:908)
   at org.eclipse.jface.wizard.WizardDialog.buttonPressed(WizardDialog.java:428)
   at org.eclipse.jface.dialogs.Dialog$2.widgetSelected(Dialog.java:624)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.TypedListener.handleEvent(TypedListener.java:240)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4165)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3754)
   at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.runEventLoop(Window.java:825)
   at org.eclipse.jface.window.Window.open(Window.java:801)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler$Import.executeHandler(WizardHandler.java:150)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.WizardHandler.execute(WizardHandler.java:277)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerProxy.execute(HandlerProxy.java:293)
   at org.eclipse.core.commands.Command.executeWithChecks(Command.java:476)
   at org.eclipse.core.commands.ParameterizedCommand.executeWithChecks(ParameterizedCommand.java:508)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.HandlerService.executeCommand(HandlerService.java:169)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.handlers.SlaveHandlerService.executeCommand(SlaveHandlerService.java:241)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.actions.CommandAction.runWithEvent(CommandAction.java:157)
   at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.handleWidgetSelection(ActionContributionItem.java:584)
   at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem.access$2(ActionContributionItem.java:501)
   at org.eclipse.jface.action.ActionContributionItem$5.handleEvent(ActionContributionItem.java:411)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.EventTable.sendEvent(EventTable.java:84)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Widget.sendEvent(Widget.java:1053)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.runDeferredEvents(Display.java:4165)
   at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.readAndDispatch(Display.java:3754)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runEventLoop(Workbench.java:2696)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.runUI(Workbench.java:2660)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.access$4(Workbench.java:2494)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench$7.run(Workbench.java:674)
   at org.eclipse.core.databinding.observable.Realm.runWithDefault(Realm.java:332)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createAndRunWorkbench(Workbench.java:667)
   at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createAndRunWorkbench(PlatformUI.java:149)
   at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEApplication.java:123)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHandle.java:196)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runApplication(EclipseAppLauncher.java:110)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:79)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:344)
   at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:179)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
   at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:622)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:577)
   at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1410)

I'm new to eclipse, so I'm afraid I can't be of much more help in debugging without some instructions. I had the same problem with another eclipse install of the JavaEE image combined with C/C++. I then downloaded the C/C++ version in a fresh state and had the same results. I'm running the Arduino-1.0 IDE on a Windows 7 platform. Any help would be appreciated.

View Profile

FYI for Mac OS X users - I created a tutorial that explains how to setup this pluggin on my project website. smiley

Check it out here: http://robots.dacloughb.com/project-1/setting-up-the-arduino-eclipse-environment-on-mac-os-x-lion/

garretto, you're the man!

Belgium
Edison Member
Arduino rocks; but with my plugin it can fly rocking the world ;-)
View Profile

aBoogieman
Thanks for the feedback
The CDT is enough I know. I think it is easier to start with the Eclipse C/C++ version. Experienced users may opt differently.

Import an Arduino library; delete the folder it creates; then import the same library again.
I have been looking and requesting a sequence that corrupted this. I'll try this sequence and maybe I can fix it.

The second is that projects created are not portable; either across platforms, or even across folders. By across folders I mean that if I rename a workspace folder, then open the workspace (in the renamed folder), I get errors that I didn't get before. This is something I hadn't tried with Eclipse before, and since the Arduino plugin does not create the workspace, I tend to think it is an Eclipse issue.
I should try this. However I don't want to give this priority for now. Please create an issue on github https://github.com/jantje/arduino-eclipse-plugin/issues

What I'd really like is to be able to commit a project file to GitHub and allow collaborators to 1) download and build the project and 2) modify the project and push the changes so that I could pull them down and build.
If the above doesn't work this is probably also not going to work. I haven't tried it though. I'm not aware of any code that should make this impossible.
Again it is not high on my priority list so create a github issue if you tested and it failed.

Best regards
Jantje

Do not PM me a question unless you are prepared to pay for consultancy.
Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -

Belgium
Edison Member
View Profile

ppanish
You have found a bug created in 1.1.7.
To avoid the bug select the project you want to add the library to before selecting "import"
Best regards
Jantje

Ross-on-Wye (UK)
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Hi, I have been using the plugin for about one month now, and its fantastic!
Particularly, I am using Arduino realtime software projects imported into this Eclipse environment -- DuinOS, FreeRTOS as a library (by fat16lib), my own Arduino integration with FreeRTOS 7.1.0 (latest). No real problems with the plugin. I will be trying with fat16lib's ChibiOS/RT soon.

But, I also have the AVR Eclipse plugin, this is confusing because the toolchains are duplicated in the new project wizards. Also, there are two AVR menus and two Upload icons in the toolbar.

But, I am an Eclipse developer, so I have downloaded (git) the source and I will take a look. I have read this forum thread completely and there is mention you would like to depend upon the official AVR plugin and still provide all the customizations for Arduino out-of-the-box. I intend to make this possible. I am between contracts and between re-locating from UK to Silicon Valley, so I have a few days on my hands.

Lastly, I have spent the last six months developing debugger plugins for other target MCUs for a large Japanese Microprocessor manufacturer, so I'm just gona' get me an AVR-dragon and we will have debugging integrated....

Well, thanks for listening... Rick.

Centurion RSA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

@Jantje
I am trying to install the plugin. Is it correct to use the update site for first time install?

Rather people think you to be a fool than you open your mouth and confirm it.

View Profile

@Jantje
I am trying to install the plugin. Is it correct to use the update site for first time install?

Marius, That's what I did, and it works fine.

Centurion RSA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

That's what I thought. I get this error when I try

Code:
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software being installed: Arduino eclipse extensions 1.1.7 (it.baeyens.arduino.feature.feature.group 1.1.7)

View Profile

Do you have the recommended version of Eclipse? Are you using "http://www.baeyens.it/eclipse/update site/"? (Edit: Be sure to include the space and "site".)

When I look, I see two items from there, one is 1.0.6 and one is 1.1.7. I'm not sure what the difference is, or if they are, in fact, (a part of) the same thing. The lower version shows up under "Uncategorized" and the newer one is under "Arduino".

I thought the doubled "feature" might be a new problem, but I do see the identifier "it.baeyens.arduino.feature.feature.group" when I look at my installed plugin.

HTH,
Leland...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:19:44 pm by aBoogieman » Logged

Belgium
Edison Member
View Profile

Marius
Have a look at the documentation and installation instructions at http://eclipse.baeyens.it/

aBoogieman
The latest version is 1.1.7 the fact the version 1.0.6 is Uncategorized is an error on my behalf I will try to fix it in the next release.

rfrankla
Thanks for the nice words.
In fact I wanted to have my plugin on top of win avr. I have been communicating with Thomas from the WinAVR but due to differences in time availabilities, the fixes and changes needed in WinAVR for my plugin didn't get "fast enough" in WinAvr (as to my taste).
Therefore I copied the WinAVR in my plugin. This started causing problems when you have the WinAVR  plugin and my plugin loaded. Therefore I changed all the ID's of WinAVR in my copy. Now you can have both plugins at the same time. However there is no need to as it is the same code.
What my plugin does on top of the WinAVR is (from the top of my head)
  • Selection of Arduino folder
  • Allow to use AVR dude and compiler delivered with Arduino
  • The create new project which makes sure AVRWin gets all Arduino settings
  • The create new library wizard
So unless there is a new version of the winAVR plugin there is no reason to install both.
Best regards
Jantje

Centurion RSA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

@boogieman I have the following Eclipse

Code:
Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers

Version: Helios Service Release 2
Build id: 20110218-0911

(c) Copyright Eclipse contributors and others 2000, 2011.  All rights reserved.
Visit http://eclipse.org/

This product includes software developed by the
Apache Software Foundation http://apache.org/

View Profile

@Marius,

You have the C/C++ version, so that's all that should matter. At this point, I'm with Jantje. Please follow his link to the installation instructions, and let us know how it goes. Those did work for me.

(You don't have anti-virus software or something blocking that site, do you? Anything else that you can provide details about? Maybe someone will have an idea.)

Good luck,
Leland...

Centurion RSA
Arduino rocks
View Profile

@Leland
It would seem that there several difirences between the Indigo C++ packages and the Helios C++. I tries to install again after I fixed the first problem

Code:
Cannot complete the install because one or more required items could not be found.
  Software being installed: Arduino eclipse extensions 1.1.7 (it.baeyens.arduino.feature.feature.group 1.1.7)
  Missing requirement: Arduino eclipse extensions 1.1.7 (it.baeyens.arduino.feature.feature.group 1.1.7) requires 'org.eclipse.cdt.managedbuilder.ui 8.0.0' but it could not be found

And for some reason my packages thinks that they are up to date and does not update automatically.
There are more issues as I go along. I dont think that Helios is as compatible.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13   Go Up
Jump to: