Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Typhon LED controller  (Read 3680 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi all,

New here, great forum with lots of great reading material!

I'm into the marine keeping hobby and love every second of it!

I'm planning my new tank: 2m long x 1m wide. I have decided to go the LED route DIY.
The nice thing about it is that you can simulate sunrise/sunset/clouds and lightning!

I found the BoostLED Typhon Controller: http://www.boostled.com/collections/frontpage/products/typhon-led-controller-kit
It is based on the ATMega328P Chip and is fully programmable.

The setup can simulate sunset and sunrise, my goal is to programe Lightning and clouds.

Each unit can controll 4 LED Drivers, so I need 3 of these units to control my 12 Drivers running 200 LEDs.

My first objective is to be able to link these 3 identical units together and create a web interface to setup the entire system.
The way they are now, you can set all the parameters on the LCD display, but I want to build a custom interface to set this up.
So my first question is, how do link the 3 units together and get stats over ethernet?

I would obviously need a ethernet arduino board as the master controller, and then run the 3 boards as slaves.
Is this possible?

The Arduino Sketch can be found here: http://www.boostled.com/pages/typhon-pre-programmed-sketch

My second objective is programming lightning. This will be done by keeeping the blue lights on and then flashing the white lights.
But first objective 1  smiley-twist

View Profile

this is my diy led build i now want to make a microcontroller to do the same as your wanting but only new to this and have a lot to learn yet but like this link u have found have a look at my led buid http://www.thereefuge.com/threads/my-diy-led-build.229/

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Looking at that Typhon controller and what you want to do with it, Cornelius, I'm wondering why you want to use that controller. Since you're going to be re-writing it I don't see much advantage in using it; you could get the same functionality with a regular Arduino controller and a display shield -- or just get a separate display and a few switches and build your interface (would make for a simpler enclosure...).

I assume that due to the display and switches that the Typhon is cramped to just 4 PWM outputs for LED drivers. A typical Uno-compatible will have 6 PWM outputs or you could get a Mega with 14 (and save money by only needing one board).

View Profile

this is my diy led build i now want to make a microcontroller to do the same as your wanting but only new to this and have a lot to learn yet but like this link u have found have a look at my led buid http://www.thereefuge.com/threads/my-diy-led-build.229/

Great build thanks!

View Profile

Looking at that Typhon controller and what you want to do with it, Cornelius, I'm wondering why you want to use that controller. Since you're going to be re-writing it I don't see much advantage in using it; you could get the same functionality with a regular Arduino controller and a display shield -- or just get a separate display and a few switches and build your interface (would make for a simpler enclosure...).

I assume that due to the display and switches that the Typhon is cramped to just 4 PWM outputs for LED drivers. A typical Uno-compatible will have 6 PWM outputs or you could get a Mega with 14 (and save money by only needing one board).

Thanks Chargin, you are correct in saying I could have build my own controller. I only heard of the Arduino boards after buying the 3 controllers.
So for now, I will stick to it. It is not a issues programming the 3 controllers separately, just thought it would be cool to control them from a central point over ethernet.

So do you know of a way to connect these 3 with ethernet?

Regards,
Lean

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Edison Member
View Profile

If it's possible it's not going to be at all simple. The controllers you have appear to have almost all of their inputs already in use, and simply mating with the available ethernet boards would require soldering wires to the controllers.

View Profile

If it's possible it's not going to be at all simple. The controllers you have appear to have almost all of their inputs already in use, and simply mating with the available ethernet boards would require soldering wires to the controllers.

Hi Chagrin, I think you are correct, doubt that I will be able to do it.
For now I will just write the code to create lightning, clouds and moon phases.

I found a few great posts here on other guys that build this already.
If only I found Arduino sooner, I probably would not have bought this controllers, but I'm sure I'm going to learn allot.

Then I will build a monster controller on one board!

I'm new to Arduino, but am super excited to learn more!
Going to buy a Mega2560 board. Is it ready to go, or do I need other parts?
Pitty it does not come with ethernet or wi-fi

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: