Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: PCB export to gerber question.  (Read 996 times)
West palm beach, FL
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Im not sure if this is out of bounds as far as general electronics goes, but my question is as follows,
 i am using sprint-layout to design a circuit which will later be produced on a pcb, however when exporting the design to gerber file it gives options to mirror a layer, as a matter a fact it pre selects mirror for the top lay of copper which makes me think that is how it SHOULD be , should i mirror it? because when i do  then obviously everything is wayyy off, as far as i understand when i am designing a board on most if not all layout designers , it is as if you are looking at the board from the top side and the board is transparent so you can see the bottom copper traces....am i right? if this is the case then mirroring any layers would be a bad move... if so why would they even put it as an option. just to mess with my head ? or maybe i am wrong.... any insight? when opening the gerber files with any gerber viewer they are all wrong because of the mirroring..which further leads me to belive no mirroring... correcto mundo?

I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

Scotland
Edison Member
Have you had your Arduino fix today?
View Profile

Generally NO, Do not mirror any layer - as you have already seen, it puts everything out of sync.

Export all layers as seen from the front of your board, But if you do make a mistake, most good fab houses will
notice and get back to you.

P.S. Most Batch services Don't check anything, so be carefull with them.

Drew.
http://www.uk-pcb.co.uk - My UK Based PCB Fab & Assembly Company
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

I thought mirroring was only used when using the photoresist method for fabbing a PCB.

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

West palm beach, FL
View Profile

ive done photo resist, well thats all ive done, i didnt mirror anything though, since its printed on a transparency you just flip that, so in essence you ARE mirroring.

Scotland
Edison Member
View Profile

If you mirror the image then you can have the ink/toner directly on the resist, cuts down on light leakage. I Print on OHP stock, and remove the toner with acitone when its etched and tested - Only used 3 sheets in the last year or so, and I make boards a couple of times a week.

Drew.
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

West palm beach, FL
View Profile

yeah i was thinking of investing in a laser printer , but transparency copies at my local staples are  99c  I dont make that many either , if i could find double sided photoresist boards that would be stellar!!!!!! ??

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

yeah i was thinking of investing in a laser printer , but transparency copies at my local staples are  99c
If you have a laser printer, why wouldn't you just print directly to a transparency?

Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

West palm beach, FL
View Profile

thats why i said i was " thinking " of investing on a laser printer, i have yet to do so

Scotland
Edison Member
View Profile

I got an HP1100 from ebay for £10 (Picked it up locally) and its still on its same toner  smiley-grin .

If all you are using it for is for printing occasionally, then just buy a cheap one.

Just get a test print first ! ! !

Drew.
Design work undertaken
SMD & Thru-Hole assembly

Austin, TX
Faraday Member
Baldengineer
View Profile

thats why i said i was " thinking " of investing on a laser printer, i have yet to do so
Ah!  You meant, if it is only 99c, why bother with getting your own printer.  Not, if you have a laser printer you'd still be spending 99c.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: