Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Using an FTDI cable  (Read 601 times)
Leeds, UK
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi.
Is there a knack to programming a standalone chip using an FTDI cable?
I have tried allsorts and I just can't upload a sketch no matter what I try.
I can upload one just fine using my Uno, taking the chip out and using jumper wires.
I know the cable is working as it is a recognised com port and when attached to a working chip, it sends serial data back and forth.
I think I read somewhere that the timing of pressing reset is crucial. I have approached this in a very methodical manner(timing, gaps etc.) but to no avail.
As the Uno sorts the reset out for me but the FTDI cable doesn't, I think this may very well be the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Colaboy

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Is your chip set up to look like a minimal Arduino? Crystal/caps or resonator, reset pullup resister?
Adding those few components might do it.

Assuming you have a bootloader on the chip already.  If not, you need to resolve that first.

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

UK, Southwest
Arduino rocks
View Profile

When uploading, press shift, this shows the verbose output.   You need to press the reset when (or just before) the first set of 3 or so lines appear when the serial protocol starts to query the bootloader.  Have a look at the verbose output on a good upload to your uno to get the idea.

Leeds, UK
View Profile

Hi, thanks for that.
Yes, everything is wired up correctly.
When I upload with the Uno (either via jumper wires or actually placing the chip in the Uno) everything works perfectly.
The chips are bootloaded. I even have both Uno and Duemilanove bootloaders on different chips. Neither of which want to work.

Thanks for that Shellycat.
I'll check that out, thank you!

Thanks
Colaboy

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: