Go Down

Topic: Detect and ignore 5 volts not 12 question. (Read 633 times) previous topic - next topic

technochris1

Anyone know of a ciruit, with or with out the Arduino unit, that can detect voltages between 5 and 12 volts, and only output if 12 volts is detected.

Basicly i have a wireless device that has an output that varies in voltages, The manufacturer says it will be floating voltage when idle, and 12volts in alarm. I tested with my meter, 5.5 volts and 12.8 volts. If i attach a 12volt relay directly to the circuit, it holds down the device and wont allow it to operate properly. Im thinking a Transistor is the answer, but im not sure on detecting only 12 volts. Any one have an idea i can try???

Graynomad

Sep 01, 2011, 01:25 am Last Edit: Sep 01, 2011, 01:26 am by Graynomad Reason: 1
floating voltage when idle, and 12volts in alarm

If this is the case use a voltage divider set to give 5v when the device is producing 12v. Then you will get a signal that is either 0v or 5v.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

technochris1

Would a voltage divider put any load on  the lines like a relay?

Graynomad

Sep 01, 2011, 01:48 am Last Edit: Sep 01, 2011, 01:50 am by Graynomad Reason: 1
None worth mentioning, if you use large(ish) values in the 10-100k range. A relay is more like 50-200R range, big difference.

A 9k1 and 5k6 resistor should work, even 91k and 56k.

______
Rob

technochris1

Is it possible to use a voltage divider with a relay directly (without Arduino), i need to Minimize the circuit and size of circuit. Thanks for any suggestions.

tjbaudio

What about a Zener diode?  Pick one with a voltage near your desired trigger voltage.

Graynomad

Yep a zener and resistor will do a similar job.

Is it possible to use a voltage divider with a relay directly (without Arduino)

No, but if that's all that needs to be done a transistor should work.

Transistors aren't my forte but the signal should be able to drive one easily enough.

In general though use a resistor from your device to the base of an NPN, another pulling the base to GND, collector to the relay coil -, emitter to GND, coil + to 12v and a diode across the coil.

But it will depend on the ability of your device to drive something, Do you have a data sheet.

There are many examples on the web an din the Arduino playground I think.

_______
Rob

Grumpy_Mike

Yes you can get a transistor to do this. You need a potential divider to reduce the 5V to just less than 0.7V. Feed that into the base of a transistor, put the emitter to ground and the collector to one end of the relay coil. Put the other end of the relay coil to the positive of your supply.

Go Up