Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: using mobile phone batteries  (Read 2957 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello team! A simple question for you: if I want to use an old Li-ion battery from my mobile phone, how do I connect wires from my 2.1mm connector to the terminals? I understand that lithium batteries have explosive tendencies associated with overheating and I'm somewhat reticent, therefore, about soldering them on.

Ta muchly,
Le Scare

fear my badger

View Profile

Hi KE7GKP, thanks for your reply. I'm planning on adding my own 2.1mm connector to the mobile phone battery so that I can use it to power an Arduino or Jeenode. My concern is that soldering wires to the terminals of the battery carries a certain BOOM! risk. Any ideas how significant this is or how to get around it? I don't think phone packs have built-in battery management systems.

fear my badger

Shannon Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Never ever apply heat to a lithium battery of any kind - this can lead to runaway reaction.

[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Denmark
Edison Member
Happy Hobbyist
View Profile

If you only have one battery you only have araound 3,6V, most if not all mobil phones run on a single cell.

Maybe it would be better to buy new Lipo's they can be quite cheap, and remember to use a charger special designet for LiPo's. I wouldn't dare to mess around with an old cell, I have seen a lipo fire and I don't want to be part of one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__252__85__LiPo_LiFe_NiMH_Battery-Rhino_Lipoly.html

View Profile

Thanks Erni & MarkT, I suspected that this might be the case. I will stay away from old phone batteries.

fear my badger

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: