Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Electroluminescent Wire + Arduino  (Read 1562 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hey guys,

First time posting, sorry if this is in the 'wrong forum' I believe it is.....

I have an Arduino MEGA 1280, I also have about 4-5 meters of Electroluminescent wire I wish to power (ideally I would like to be able to dim and brighten it with the board) however, I would just settle to be able to turn it on and off....

I have a 9 volt inverter for the EL wire, I also have a collection of resistors at my disposal along with some 2N7000 MOSEFT transistors.......

Tutorials or examples for what I wish to do is scarce and I was wondering could anyone here help me... The closest thing I've come accross is this however I don't understand what the transistors are doing. http://www.flickr.com/photos/pdinnen/4830726953/

Any help would be appreciated + many thanks in advance !

Norway
Have you thought it over before asking?
View Profile

The text says "triac", this is used to switch the el-wire on and off.
It cannot dim the wire.

2B || !2B

... bonding electrons and bits!

View Profile

Yes, I've seen the Triac, however what I want to know is, can i use the 2N7000 MOSEFT, or is it a component i will need to source myself?

Sydney, Australia
Bam!
View Profile

You could just use a low input current relay to switch between on and off - you do get a click sound depending on the relay but its really easy.

John

View Profile

Could you just elaborate on that slightly please?... I have a 2N7000 MOSFET at my disposal? would I be able to use that ?

Many thanks !

Sydney, Australia
Bam!
View Profile

I would just use a reed relay such as: http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=SY4036

Some would say that it is necessary to put a diode over the coil but I never have and its been fine for me.

I have actually used that exact relay to run EL wire.

John

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Seems like nobody's gotten around to telling you this but...

I have a 2N7000 MOSFET at my disposal? would I be able to use that ?

No.

A single MOSFET only works for DC, you need a triac for AC - and EL wire is high-voltage low-current AC. You can also use a relay, or any sort of mechanical switch, as they don't know or care about AC/DC. You can make a rudimentary triac by connecting two MOSFETs in an anti-series configuration, but that's really suboptimal for many reasons (plus your MOSFET probably isn't rated to 300v)

Sydney, Australia
Bam!
View Profile

Couldnt you use the MOSFET before the inverter converts the 9v to how ever much?

I know nothing about triacs, but if theres a 9v input to power them thats gonna be DC, isnt it?

John

Arduino rocks
View Profile

You could, however, that means you can't use the inverter for any other EL wire... and it's an N-channel MOSFET, so you'd need ~12v or something like that to turn it on, necessitating another transistor of some sort.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: