Go Down

Topic: RGB LCD Help Requested (Read 574 times) previous topic - next topic

wally_z

Hello there fellow Arduino tinkerers. I just purchased and assembled a RGB LCD from Amazon. Link: http://www.nkcelectronics.com/rgb-lcd-shield-for-arduino-65k-color-k65.html

I am having trouble starting it up for the first time. I have loaded some sample code I found on a previous forum regarding this shield. Link: http://www.arduino.cc/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1273278659/all. Everything is soldered in its correct place in the correct position, everything is solidly soldered to the shield.

When the shield is attached, and I try to upload the code, there is some kind of "avr failure" and it won't upload. When the shield is not attached, and I try to upload the code, it works flawlessly. After the code is uploaded, I disconnect the USB and attach the shield, then reconnect USB for power. The display does not light up, it doesn't display anything. I soldered everything SOLID except the display which I had to solder wires to the contacts just so it would stay. I didn't use the screen connector that came with the shield because it is a lot harder to use than soldering wires to the contacts. It may just be that I have to press the screen down harder so it makes contact with all the contacts, then it might work. I hope it's not my ATMega328, at least they're cheap to replace.

MarkT

You need to test that the supply isn't shorted out somewhere on the board - multimeter set to resistance range.  Do this whenever you build a board.  Then if that's OK power it up and test the voltage out to the LCD and its backlight.  Testing for shorts between neighbouring pins is a good strategy.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy