Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Downloading executable via IDE  (Read 357 times)
France
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I've been using for years my arduino mega with different IDE's based on compile then download.

First question: for some reason with my new MacBook Air & IDE22, I can't see anymore where are the files (binary, assembly,...) in order to use AVR tools, where are they ?

My second question: suppose I've access to the executable file being downloaded, is it possible to give this file to a client who will download it directly to its arduino mega board ?

In other words, I don't want to provide my PDE project to this client but only the executable but how do I do this ?

Thank you in advance, Albert
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 01:20:19 am by selfonlypath » Logged

Global Moderator
Netherlands
Shannon Member
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, however in practice there are many...
View Profile

THe second question should be solvable with AVRdude.exe (option -D from my head)

Hold the shift key while uploading and you wil see the command to upload a sketch into UNO/MEGA etc.
With AVRdude it is also possible to extract an image from an UNO/Mega.

Google for the AVRDude manual for all the details.

First question, sorry no mac user.

Rob Tillaart

Nederlandse sectie - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html -
(Please do not PM for private consultancy)

France
View Profile

There was a time where using IDE version 17 would generate on each PDE project folder a specific folder called applet (this is on Mac's so I don't know about PC's). This folder would contain *.cpp files, *.o objects files, *.eep, *.elf, *.hex and core.a

Can someone tell me with IDE version 22 where are stored these compilation & linker files where, in particular the special file that will be ultimately downloaded towards the arduino board target via USB ?

If this specific file is accessible, is it possible to download it directly to the board via IDE so I can give it to a client without providing the PDE sources to protect my work.

View Profile

In linux it put's the files in /tmp. It is probably the same on mac. In the arduino ide press the verify button, then in a terminal run this:
Code:
find /tmp -name '*.hex*'
if it's like linux you should get a directory like "/tmp/build6469773749697915412.tmp" copy the hex file from there and give it to the client. They will need an isp to flash it though, I don't know if you can do it from the arduino ide.

France
View Profile

Using IDE 17, I've located the *.hex file as well as avrdude application which i understand can be used directly to download the HEX file to my arduino mega.

Can someone with a Mac could just tell me how I launch avrdude, what parameters from a Terminal shell ?

Albert

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: