Go Down

Topic: the brains OK, but the eyes are gone :-) (Read 808 times) previous topic - next topic

Boffin1

Wasted a bit of precious time today trying to find why my arduino chip did nothing when plugged into a board I have made as an interface ( I have used the same pcb before with no problems )

What threw me was the 78L05 on the board was getting hot , which wasted a lot of my time looking for shorts.

It turned out that one of the two tiny  22Pf caps on the crystal was marked 22J and the other 221  ( 220pF ! )

They both came from my same draw, so I dont know when the rogue one got there.
I will now keep my magnifying glass nearby, and accept my age !

RuggedCircuits

Or pick up a set of (expensive) Smart Tweezers and check everything before soldering it on:

http://www.advancedevices.com

I've taken to not keeping loose parts around anymore, for this very reason. Unless it's in original packaging with a label and part number, in the trash it goes. It's just not worth keeping around loose parts (given how inexpensive they are) for the potential of wasting hours debugging.

--
The MegaRAM shield: add 128 kilobytes of external RAM to your Arduino Mega/Mega2560

Valalvax

Rugged, you realize you could sort them? Take an afternoon (or 10) to sort them into drawers

RuggedCircuits

Started doing that once, and found it took X seconds to sort a part, leading to an hourly "rate" of $Y per hour, and realized that Y was disgustingly small. Sadly, that hour is best spent doing other things and just buying new parts as necessary.

--
Beat707: MIDI drum machine / sequencer / groove-box for Arduino

Valalvax

Well, yea

Send those parts to me :P

(also, you could start sorting as you buy, that way you just dump baggie A into Bin A)

I wish I had the space to sort, right now I have two boxes that I dump everything in...

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy