Dead Rmp3 Shield. Don't want to do it again....

I have managed to kill my Rmp3 shield.

I believe it was by running 9v in to the arduino input jack. I see from the Arduino site that the Vin pin becomes a Vout when you insert power to the round power jack. Rmp3 can take 7v max before damage.

My questions are this :

If I had removed the header pins that connect the Vin and associated Gnd, and therefore just connected the Rmp3 to the regulated 5v pin and associated Gnd, would this have been totally safe ?

Seems surprising that someone would make a shield that could be damaged this easily. Perhaps it was the load i connected to the Vin connectors on the rogue (to power my little 10 watt audio amp) ?

Any guidance much appreciated.

Twogan

It is naughty to be so sensitive to the Vin voltage, you can't be the first to be bitten like this. Removing the Vin header pin would have worked (unless the shield really needs Vin as well as 5V). Don't need to cut ground pins, the more grounds the better.

I don't see anything in the Rmp3 documentation that suggests Vin is used at all. Where is that stated?

Indeed - it only says power source 5V, and abs max of 6V... Its likely to be some other failure. Perhaps its not a hardware failure, just a corrupt SDcard?

Many Thanks for the suggestions.

MarkT was absolutely correct - I checked my arduino/Rmp3 and I did indeed have a loose solder point between the boards. I have re-soldered and it is now working again.

I shall try my best not to be so defeatist next time. And I must offer appologies to the maker of the Rmp3 module. It obviously isn't made in such a way that the Vin would hurt it.

Its a great module that is doing exactly what I need, and with excellent sound quality.

Thanks
Twogan