Go Down

Topic: Balloon SSID location without Wifi shield or GPS (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

sbright33

Hello everyone!
I'm making one of these:
http://www.solar-balloons.com/howto.html

I could get the SSID of any nearby Wifi from a small keychain Wifi finder.  It wouldn't need to be so sensitive.  It could miss a few and take 5 minutes until it gets the next one from high up.  Then send it via 60mw Xbee.  Without the UNO devel board this could be very lightweight.  About the same weight as the ballast I need to keep the balloon upright anyway.  The value of the hardware in case it were lost would be $50 instead of $150 for GPS.  What other data could I send?

I would know the approximate location of the Balloon!  Enough to find it anyway.
What do you think?  Feasible?
If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

daveg360

Couldn't you achieve something with a radio transmitter and a really really directional antenna?  (like they use to track tagged animals?)
If your system involves lethal voltages/life critical/flamable elements - you probably shouldn't need to ask.
The Arduino != PC.

johnwasser

For $50 you can get a Boost Mobile Motorola i296: http://www.boostmobilestore.com/bpdirect/boost/PhoneList.do?action=view&id=i296

Then you can install free GPS tracking software from mologogo.com InstaMapper.com or Buddyway.com

If the phone is too heavy you can remove the case some other parts.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

sbright33

I understand Fox hunting.  So 1970's!

Can you send data with a cheap drone transmitter?  I've left my old DF antennas at my parents house, haven't seen them in 25 years.

1) I fly paragliders in the Andes.  Much bigger than this.  We go as high as we want!  What danger?  Too low?
2) Line of sight.  They will work at least a mile when I'm standing in a clear field.  They make bigger ones too 1w or 20mi.
3) I will be doing this in a residential area, plenty of home Wifi.
4) Normal is boring.  I want to collect data!  MAC addresses?  Windspeed for flying myself later?  
Anything else anyone?
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

sbright33

Actually I've done that already!  Different type of balloon.  Love Instamapper.  This will be much lighter, so I could use a smaller balloon.  I've written much code for Instamapper and Google Maps together.  It will work where there is no Boost coverage, like here 01355.
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Go Up