Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Balloon SSID location without Wifi shield or GPS  (Read 1867 times)
Edison Member
If you're not living on the Edge, you're taking up too much space!
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

1) You're right, but some give SSID, not BSSID (MAC).  I decided to use the Xbee Wifi anyway.
2) Yes, a mile, but they do make a bigger Xbee!  I decided to wait until someone finds it, if it flies where there's no Open Networks.
3) Wigle still works, as well as a few sites that saved a copy of the old database.

No nude beach here!  But I do fly over one often with my Paraglider.

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Edison Member
View Profile

I'm going to design it to be failsafe, so that I can bring it down at any time using Xbee when it's over a big field.  If I lose radio contact for 10 minutes then it will come down rapidly on it's own.  This way it can't get very far from it's last known location on a calm day.  This would only happen if there's no road where it's going.

Any idea how to control its altitude with Uno?

-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Chester, UK
Trying to return the love to none logic level MOSFETS
View Profile

Whilst this doesn't constitute any sort of endorsement of the ideas being chucked around; there is now a XBee footprint WiFi module:

http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-wired-embedded-solutions/zigbee-rf-modules/point-multipoint-rfmodules/xbee-wi-fi#overview

If your system involves lethal voltages/life critical/flamable elements - you probably shouldn't need to ask.
The Arduino != PC.

Edison Member
View Profile

Interesting Wiki!  Don't worry I'm not planning to put any bombs in the air.  Actually they ARE interchangeable.  Xbee makes a Wifi shield.  Not sure about the code compatibility. 

-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Lot of "hanger flying" going on for a "solar balloon" that probably struggles to lift its own weight at best.  smiley

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Edison Member
View Profile

I disagree.  Let's do some math.  The one I built as a child can lift 100g with no problem.  The newer one at least 200g.  The Uno weighs 25g.  9V battery 25g without jacket.  I have a lithium thionyl battery in my hand feels like 5g 1.2Ah.  Without development board I can get the Uno chip down to 10g including supporting circuitry.  So I have 185g left for Xbee and/or GPS.  I read the Venus GPS is about 8g without connector.  Xbee about 10g.  If I didn't already have so much extra lifting capacity I could make a double sized solar balloon.  Did I forget something?

-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Tesla Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Did I forget something?

So just how high/far did the solar balloon with 100g lift fly? Once a solar balloon leaves the ground surface and gains altitude I forsee issues that will bring it back down. Just haven't seen much on solar balloons indicating that they will operate with any significant payload. Any links to pervious solar balloons flights with payloads?

Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over here, looking through your stuff.   smiley-cool

Edison Member
View Profile

That was 20+ years ago.  It did not go very high, you are correct.  But it went 10 miles before I stopped following it.  What issues will bring it down?  Sunset?  smiley-wink  100g is not a significant payload, but it is more than I need. 

-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

ottawa, canada
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks for that link!  Just realized I don't really need the Xbee 2ghz radio.  Unless I want to control it to bring it down from 1mi away or 6000' up.  Instead I can wait until it's over an open Wifi network.  Then it will tell me where it is!  This will work even if I have to wait until the human finder gets home.  It would have printed instructions take me to an Open Wifi for a prize!  I wish it would work at Starbucks.  Then I'd say take me to Starbucks instead!  Much more funny and they wouldn't understand why until I arrived...

I certainly love your optimism! - how are you doing - any progress to report?

Edison Member
View Profile

I've been working on sampling and sending audio for a different project.  They said that couldn't be done either, without a sharp low pass filter!  Proved them wrong.  Plenty of processing power left over. 

Sent a few balloons up with 100g and they went over the mountain with altitude to spare!  Not sure what they did on the other side.  Haven't tried for awhile due to clouds.  I imagine they went 10+ miles but no one called the number I wrote on them.  Maybe they're still up?  smiley-wink  I've realized that the weight of the bag is negligible compared to the payload beyond 2m width.  So the capacity is proportional to the length cubed (volume).  I'm going to go bigger!  Using cheap tape, quality control becomes an issue until I learn a better technique.  I'm thinking I might get up a Razr cell phone and small GPS.  Optimistic still?  @Zoomkat - Payload Mass = C x Volume.  They can carry humans.

-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: