Go Down

Topic: Atmega disassembler for OS X (Read 2070 times) previous topic - next topic

EmilyJane

Does anyone have a favorite Atmega disassembler that runs under OS X?. I can boot into Windows if I have to so if there is a particularly good (free) one for Windows, I might be interested. I have the object code out of the AAG weather station that I would like to disassemble, just for grins.

johnwasser

What format is the object code?  .o?  .hex?

The Arduino distribution includes avr-objdump and avr-readelf which can read and disassemble various object formats.

In a terminal window, try:  /Applications/Arduino22.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-objdump -h (yourfile)
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

EmilyJane

The Arduino distribution includes avr-objdump and avr-readelf which can read and disassemble various object formats.

In a terminal window, try:  /Applications/Arduino22.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-objdump -h (yourfile)

I saved in .hex. I'll give that a try! Thanks!

EmilyJane

I saved in .hex. I'll give that a try! Thanks!

That pointed me in the right direction. The right switches are: avr-objdump -j .sec1 -d -m avr flash.hex

EmilyJane

Well, I disassembled the factory object code from the weather station. I have no previous experience with looking at disassembled C code for the Atmel processors if this was indeed originally written in C, but it looks pretty straightforward. They used the Y-register as a stack frame pointer for local variable storage and the UART receive routine is interrupt driven. It's an interesting experiment taking apart their code, but I don't think I'm going to spend much more time on it. There aren't any real mysteries about how to use the existing hardware.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy