Go Down

Topic: Local webserver (non-internet) (Read 549 times) previous topic - next topic

ziploc

I'm looking to use an Arduino as a local webserver (not internet connected).  Let me describe in a bit more detail...

The Arduino would be hooked up to a number of sensors.  It would put the sensor values in a web page, and I could see that web page just a few feet away on my iphone (not going through the internet, but rather using the Arduino as an ad-hoc(?) wireless network server). 

Would I need a WiFi shield?  Is that different than in internet shield?  It seems the Arduino FIO is wireless capable (wireless ready?).

I've programmed plenty of C and a reasonable bit of C++, and I've certainly poked at hardware a bit, but you might be able to tell from the above that I don't really know much at all about local wireless networking.  So please use small words and treat me like I'm a bit slow.

Thanks in advance for any help.

PaulS

Would I need a WiFi shield?Is that different than in internet shield?  It seems the Arduino FIO is wireless capable (wireless ready?).

A WiFi shield is just like a WiFi card in your PC or iPhone. It allows you to connect to an existing WiFi router.

It is different from an Ethernet shield. The Ethernet shield requires a wired connection to a router.

The wired/wireless network does not have to be connected to the internet. It can be strictly a local area network.

Somewhere in the picture, you need a WiFi router, for the iPhone to connect to, since the WiFi shield is not a WiFi router.

ziploc

A WiFi shield is just like a WiFi card in your PC or iPhone. It allows you to connect to an existing WiFi router.

It is different from an Ethernet shield. The Ethernet shield requires a wired connection to a router.

Thanks.  That's what I suspected from what little I had looked into it.

The wired/wireless network does not have to be connected to the internet. It can be strictly a local area network.

Excellent.  

Somewhere in the picture, you need a WiFi router, for the iPhone to connect to, since the WiFi shield is not a WiFi router.

Less than excellent.  I was hoping I could set the Arduino/Wifi shield as an ad-hoc network node.  Is that possible?  Does it even make sense?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy