Go Down

Topic: Bitlash 0.8 is available for download (Read 2469 times) previous topic - next topic

billroy

Hello and good day:

Bitlash 0.8 is now available for download at http://bitlash.net/downloads/bitlash-0.8c.tgz

Bitlash is an open source command line shell for the Arduino serial port.  It runs on the Arduino and interprets commands that you type in a terminal window or send programmatically.

Here is a list of updates in Bitlash 0.8:

- Printed output to any pin: You can direct serial output to any pin using the "print #N:" construct:

> baud(4, 4800)            // talk at 4800 on pin 4 (9600 default)
     > print #4: "ATZ LOL RESETZ"      // prints the string to pin 4

- Arduino 0011 compatibility via #define

- Much improved web site and documentation at http://bitlash.net

- Space and speed improvements: a little faster, a little more space for your code

- Serial to Network Proxy: Stealth beta of our new python serial-to-network proxy

Happy hacking,

-br
http://bitlash.net

The_Bongmaster

Oct 31, 2008, 03:44 pm Last Edit: Oct 31, 2008, 06:37 pm by The_Bongmaster Reason: 1
looks fun but im getting a error on upload:

Code: [Select]

hardware\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.o: In function `eeprom_read_byte':

c:/documents and settings/me/desktop/arduino-0011/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../avr/include/avr/eeprom.h:198: undefined reference to `__eeprom_read_byte_1F2021'

hardware\libraries\EEPROM\EEPROM.o: In function `eeprom_write_byte':

c:/documents and settings/me/desktop/arduino-0011/hardware/tools/avr/bin/../avr/include/avr/eeprom.h:293: undefined reference to `__eeprom_write_byte_1F2021'

Couldn't determine program size: C:\Documents and Settings\me\Desktop\arduino-0012\hardware/tools/avr/bin/avr-size: 'C:\Documents and Settings\me\My Documents\Arduino\bitlash\applet\bitlash.hex': No such file

avrdude: can't open input file C:\Documents and Settings\me\My Documents\Arduino\bitlash\applet\bitlash.hex: No such file or directory
avrdude: write to file 'C:\Documents and Settings\me\My Documents\Arduino\bitlash\applet\bitlash.hex' failed

i am using arduino 0012, dunno why its going on about arduino 0011
it also happens if i use 0011
B-dui in creation.

Justin Catalana

Oct 31, 2008, 05:53 pm Last Edit: Oct 31, 2008, 10:41 pm by justin_Catalana Reason: 1
Hey billroy,

I'm working on a similar project, albeit I was more interested in the actual serial communication than the shell it self.
http://inhocsignovinces.net

One problem I had to deal with was syncing of the Adruino and the computer, do you do any flowcontrol or hand shaking to make sure a command that is sent is received?

nice work.

Justin

billroy

Hi, Bongmaster: Your problem is interesting.  Could you please restart the Arduino software and see if you still get that arduino-0011 message?  Alternatively, you could tweak the code at line 43-ish to switch to Arduino 0011 mode.  Let me know how it works out for you.

And hello, Justin: Thanks for your kind words.  I saw your release with interest.  I believe that bitlash may represent a somewhat "thicker client" approach ;)

Regarding framing and flow control: nothing special.  The protocol is line-oriented and straightforward to automate, especially since you can set the prompt to something distinctive if '>' won't work for your application.

Happy to answer follow-ups.

Cheers,

-br

The_Bongmaster

Hi, Bongmaster: Your problem is interesting.  Could you please restart the Arduino software and see if you still get that arduino-0011 message?  Alternatively, you could tweak the code at line 43-ish to switch to Arduino 0011 mode.  Let me know how it works out for you.

yup tried all them still the same message :( cant think why its doing that.
B-dui in creation.

Justin Catalana

I can't seem to get it to work, here is some output using screen to connect to the Arduino:
> HELP
bitlash is Copyright 2008 by Bill Roy - http://bitlash.net
See LICENSE for license, README for howto
Pins: d0-22,a0-22  Variables: a-z, 32 bit long integers
Operators: + - * / ( ) < <= > >= == != << >> ! ^ & | ++ -- :=
Commands: boot help if ls peep print ps rm run snooze stop while
Functions: analogread analogwrite    digitalread delaymicroseconds digitalwrite
abs ar aw baud constrain delay dr du dw er ew free map max millis min pinmode pulsein rand2 random sa sr usr

> print "something"
something
> digitalWrite(11,1)
;           ^
expected
pinmode(11, 1)
^
unexpected char
>

Do you know what might be going on?

billroy

Hi, Justin:

You might have a look at your eeprom with 'peep', just in case there's something there that looks like a corrupted startup macro.  But that's a long shot.

I have seen dropped characters before, but not using 'screen'.  In those cases, slowing the baud rate to 9600 helped.  You might try this startup macro and then connect at 9600:

> startup:="baud(0,9600)"

I will ponder your problem further.  Let me know if the baud rate change helps.

Best regards,

-br

The_Bongmaster

Nov 01, 2008, 12:06 am Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008, 12:10 am by The_Bongmaster Reason: 1
tried removing the old arduino 0011 folder but that doesnt change a thing, i even copied the 0012 folder and renamed it to 0011, not that i expected it to work but wat the hey.

i even looked at the eeprom.h file it mentioned in the error and that made no sense to me at all.
its just not compiling. :(

i really would like to try this out, it looks fun and intuitive.
B-dui in creation.

billroy

Justin: Is it possible you have another application connected to the serial port at the same time?  Perhaps the built-in serial monitor, or another copy of screen?.  That is the only case with symptoms similar to yours that has come to mind.

Bongmaster: pondering...  Does a small sketch using EEPROM.h compile correctly on your rig?

-br

The_Bongmaster

i hadnt tried anothr eeprom sketch, tho i should have :S

but i renamed my 0012 folder and extracted a new one, and lo it compiled :)

so im thinking it may be a conflict with the hardware library i have, maybe there is a eeprom lib in there thats causing the problem.

but i got it uploaded to my board now and i'll let u know how i get on :D

thnx for the help :)
B-dui in creation.

billroy

I love it when it works.  Thanks for the report, and happy hacking.

-br

The_Bongmaster

Nov 01, 2008, 01:47 am Last Edit: Nov 01, 2008, 01:56 am by The_Bongmaster Reason: 1
hehe i got a bit of a prob with the eeprom, i cant stop the mad flashing pin 13 led thing thats in the startup, it just keeps going and i cannot send a ^C command to it cos stupid hyperterminal is stupid, and im not sure how to do it with the arduino serial monitor.

help please XD

[edit]ok false alarm :P i found a term emulator that actually listens to wat i type :)[/edit]
B-dui in creation.

billroy

If you do get wedged with a corrupted startup macro that won't take ^C for an answer, there is a weapon of last resort: you can write and upload a little sketch to clear the eeprom and then re-upload bitlash.

But it sounds like you found a workaround.  Bravo!

The_Bongmaster

would be nice if the arduino ide had a clear eeprom command :3
B-dui in creation.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy