Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Yet Another LED Flame  (Read 1442 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi folks. I just wanted to share a bit of video of my first real Arduino project in action. I built an LED "flame" for the pumpkin this year, with a little twist.

I'm quite familiar with coding, but less familiar with the components and hardware aspect of this world, and initially undertook building this using only basic components. I wasn't happy with the results, so I geared up to build standalone Arduino-based projects, based around Atmegas.

The code accepts an arbitrary number of LED outputs, with a minimum brightness for the general glow. A peak brightness and traversal time are generated randomly, and the timed traversal smoothly walks across the outputs. The peak falls off, so the effect is of a smooth motion of the peak across the LEDs, to an arbitrary position along the line of outputs (as a float, rather than always peaking at a specific light). When arranged in a circle, it feels like the light is moving around the group, which casts moving shadows, and gives a flickering effect that's much more convincing that a single light variably changing brightness.

I also built it to accept a modular array of LEDs, in that the group is attached to the board via headers, so I can switch out the lights (and code) for different purposes.

Here's a bit of terrible video. My camera doesn't work well in low light.  smiley

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 11:23:34 pm by kennethw » Logged

Denver, CO - USA
! <3 Atmega328
View Profile

Nice!  I like the effect you have going there
Might you be looking to share the code?   smiley

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Nicely done!

I'm working on a similar project, but have started with one LED since I'm trying to light 6 pumpkins. If time permits I'll upgrade my setup for more realism. There is also next year as well!

Arduino rocks
View Profile

Thanks!

Let me make sure the code is presentable and I'll get back to you. =)

Arduino rocks
View Profile

That looks cool.

Prototype Limited Edition owner! lol
View Profile

Yeah very nice! Would love to see that code for learning! smiley

Arduino rocks
View Profile

yeah, very nice, thank you!!