Go Down

Topic: Yet Another LED Flame (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

kennethw

Oct 21, 2008, 06:10 am Last Edit: Oct 21, 2008, 06:23 am by kennethw Reason: 1
Hi folks. I just wanted to share a bit of video of my first real Arduino project in action. I built an LED "flame" for the pumpkin this year, with a little twist.

I'm quite familiar with coding, but less familiar with the components and hardware aspect of this world, and initially undertook building this using only basic components. I wasn't happy with the results, so I geared up to build standalone Arduino-based projects, based around Atmegas.

The code accepts an arbitrary number of LED outputs, with a minimum brightness for the general glow. A peak brightness and traversal time are generated randomly, and the timed traversal smoothly walks across the outputs. The peak falls off, so the effect is of a smooth motion of the peak across the LEDs, to an arbitrary position along the line of outputs (as a float, rather than always peaking at a specific light). When arranged in a circle, it feels like the light is moving around the group, which casts moving shadows, and gives a flickering effect that's much more convincing that a single light variably changing brightness.

I also built it to accept a modular array of LEDs, in that the group is attached to the board via headers, so I can switch out the lights (and code) for different purposes.

Here's a bit of terrible video. My camera doesn't work well in low light.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfCKTKWgKeg

b94cast

Nice!  I like the effect you have going there
Might you be looking to share the code?   :)

walterr

Nicely done!

I'm working on a similar project, but have started with one LED since I'm trying to light 6 pumpkins. If time permits I'll upgrade my setup for more realism. There is also next year as well!

kennethw

Thanks!

Let me make sure the code is presentable and I'll get back to you. =)

rhololkeolke

Intosia

Yeah very nice! Would love to see that code for learning! :)

masuka

yeah, very nice, thank you!!

Go Up