Go Down

Topic: ShiftMatrix, Dreaming Big Video Display (Read 10 times) previous topic - next topic

Zuluriney

Hi, i'm quite interested in updates of your project, mainly because i have a similar project ongoing. What i have is a 8x8 RGB matrix, with a colorduino and currently i am driving it at 15-20fps with 253 brightness levels. My first test is a program in C# which captures realtime screenshots and feeds them to an arduino. that way i can test a whole bunch of things like video, color test patterns etc without the need to modify the code since all i'm doing is streaming a portion of the desktop.

this is my thread if you want to read more. i can also provide you with some more code...
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,69403.msg513828.html#msg513828

i am really getting awesome results with video

I will follow your thread to see where this is going. :)

milamber

Sep 20, 2011, 03:15 pm Last Edit: Sep 20, 2011, 03:32 pm by milamber Reason: 1
Elco asked for a video of it in action on the shiftPWM thread, so here it is again on my thread:
This is the Bad Apple video scaled to 16x16 monochrome at 15fps/32 brightness levels 50Hz.
The flickering is a camera artifact and is not present looking at the display.

http://vimeo.com/29314087

Hey Zuluriney, I thought you might see this. :) I am using processing to do my scaling and sending. I am not confident enough with C yet and there was a video library with examples that I could hack. So far I am really happy with the output. I will be checking out your thread too :)

Zuluriney

nice! very good so far, but what is the horizontal gap about? did everything not fit behind the matrices?

milamber

The gap is due to this being on some crappy breadboards and so the 8x8 matrix's don't match up to each other. But as a test bed I am making some good progress. I am just now completely re-writing the processing sketch. It's now much clearer, to my mind at least, as to what is going on. And I am commenting it as fully as I can so others can follow along.

I hope to have it ready to post up here sometime soon. The only issue with it that I can see is that I wrote it for a specific set of parameters. For example it is coded for a square matrix. It also assumes the input video to be 4:3 ratio. I have included comments to show where the code makes these assumptions and they can be coded to change. The other thing is it is currently set to output as a mono display. I don't have a color matrix yet but I have them on order. When I receive them I will be coding it for color.

As a test I pushed it to 90fps at 16x16 mono with 32 brightness levels and it had no glitches. I was impressed.

Zuluriney

may i ask about how you construct the packets to send via serial? any buffering issues?

depending on how much RAM on the arduino is used by shiftPWM and your code, there is a way to increase buffer size, just FYI.

Go Up