Go Down

Topic: [Solved!] Help! Target stuck in a sketch. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Coding Badly

Did you use the Arduino IDE to install the bootloader?

If yes, which board did you have selected?

EmilyJane

Sep 17, 2011, 04:43 pm Last Edit: Sep 17, 2011, 04:51 pm by EmilyJane Reason: 1

Did you use the Arduino IDE to install the bootloader?

If yes, which board did you have selected?

Yes, I did. I'm pretty sure I selected "Arduino NG or older w/ Atmega8". Maybe the thing to try is to re-burn the bootloader.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I think I used avrdude to install it.

Coding Badly

Now that I think about it, I think I used avrdude to install it.

Did you set the "lock bits"?

Fair warning: I have not installed a bootloader from the command-line.  I have always used the IDE.  I believe installing a bootloader is a multi-step process...  unlock, set fuses, upload bootloader, lock.  But, I could be wrong.

EmilyJane

Did you set the "lock bits"?

I don't think I did. The lock bits were set to 0x3f in the original. They are probably still that.

It's been several days since I was successful in getting avrdude to read the original flash so my memory is a little foggy about what all I did. I was so happy just getting to that point, that I think I just burned the bootloader .hex file for Atmega8 from the Arduino 0022 distribution with avrdude and called it a day. Since I didn't have a freestanding USB bridge then, I just pulled the 3.68MHz crystal and put it aside until I could use it at 16MHz.

I have a USBtinyISP on the way which I thought would arrive today but it didn't. I have torn down the breadboard to use Arduino as a programmer so I'm just going to wait for the dedicated programmer.

If I use USBtinyISP to burn the bootloader from the IDE, does it select the .hex file to use based on the IDE:Board setting or is there an additional dialog where you set that? From your comments, I presume it takes care of all the fiddly-bits as well?

Coding Badly

If I use USBtinyISP to burn the bootloader from the IDE, does it select the .hex file to use based on the IDE:Board setting

Yes.  If you'd like the details, the mapping from menu selection to .hex file is in a file named "boards.txt".

or is there an additional dialog where you set that?

No.

From your comments, I presume it takes care of all the fiddly-bits as well?

It always has for me.  Which is why I use the IDE (brain ... overloading ... on ... fiddly-bits !!!).

Go Up