Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Help me breadboard a cabled remote control  (Read 1247 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

I would like to replace the cable-connected remote control of a directional motor by a breadboard controlled by the arduino. Here is what the cable / remote control does:

And here is the inside of the remote:

The resistor at the back is on the +5V and is to the best of my knowledge a 3.9K. (color coding - and I also get this value when measuring, but in-circuit).
It seems to be a 20K sliding pot at the bottom and indeed when measure I get variations from 0 to 23K. This items controls speed on the remote control and is connecting the speed cable to ground.

When on the motor that this remote controls I plug a 0ohm resistor between +5V and and direction it works (but gets VERY hot after a very short while... I only discovered the 3.9K resistor later). Between +5V and speed the resistor starts smoking.  smiley-mr-green

So: how do I reproduce this remote control on a breadboard to work with the arduino?

I am thinking: for the directional controls :
digital pin 1 --- transistor base
                                          Emitter / Controller to +5V / left cable with a 3.9K resistor in the circuit
etc for the other 3 directions
... but what about the ground cable? What's that for? And how do I control speed (the 20K pot)? Is this a completely different and independant circuit? Is there a way to have a digital equivalent of the 20K pot effect?

oh - the remote has no battery. all its power comes from the motor.

Thanks for nay help!

View Profile

Or maybe I could use a 595 shift register instead of the transistors?

NE Wisconsin
Arduino is the Better Stamp!
View Profile

If you wanted to use optoisolaters (4N35), I have a design for you. This board design was created using Fritzing http://fritzing.org/.

I have not written the code for it yet, but here are the basics:

A0 = Speed inout
D2 = Up input
D3 = Down input
D4 = Left input
D5 = Right input

D6 = Down out
D7 = Up out
D8 = Right out
D9 = Left out
D10 = Speed out

I'm not sure what happened to the outputs, I'm tired, but they would just need to be rearranged. I will do up a new board tomorrow when I'm awake. I will also write some basic code for you.

Hope this helps.

Dan

View Profile

Dan,

Excellent work - many thanks! (Sorry for the late reply on my side - I was travelling).

Yes - I was also thinking about using the optoisolators - at least I understand optoisolators and I can say the same for transistors smiley

Are these 10K resistors you have on the left of your diagram, connecting to the optos?

No need to help me with the code - that the easier part. Thanks a lot for offering though!!!

Do you have an idea though on how to replace the manual 20K pot with a digitally controller variable resistor (even if it only has 4 steps - ie: 0K, 7K, 14K, 20K). For instance digital pin 5 triggers a 7K resistor on this circuit, pin 6 14K, pin 7 20K ?

Well done,

XBerg

View Profile

One thing I noticed in your diagram is that you put the POT between 5V and ground - it instead needs to be between the red and purple cable at the top. Still searching for a way though to do without the pot and have a digital-controlled equivalent.

thanks!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: