Go Down

Topic: Glass Kiln Control (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

Sep 18, 2011, 04:59 am Last Edit: Jan 11, 2012, 01:26 am by GlennD Reason: 1
I have been asked several times for the code for this control.  Thought this might be the best place for it.
The story is my wife bought a used manual kiln.  They are a pain in the butt to baby sit while fusing glass. I am a cheap skate and did not want to spend the $150 $200 bucks for a pre-made one. At that time I had just found the Arduino platform. I purchased one as well as the buttons and LCD from Sparkfun did some reading and found this shieldhttp://store.ryanjmclaughlin.com/interface-boards/assembled/nulzg  then got to work.

It took me a couple of weeks to figure it all out. A few missteps and very hot kiln for the first trial run, but got it pretty well ironed out.

It uses a Potter & Brumfield Relay 92P7D52-12 run by a TIP102 soldered into the shield. I don't have a schematic just kind of did it as I went along.
I think I left enough comments to follow and help someone understand what is going on.
Don't be to harsh first Arduino code still learning.

"Some cause happiness wherever they go;
others, whenever they go.." - Oscar Wilde

Bummer... Attachments no longer work...  :-(

are you using the MAX31855 chip the older MAX6675. I have built kiln controllers with both and I am having stability problems with the MAX31855 chip that I didn't have with the MAX6675. the 31855 displays rolling temperature oscillations around a correct average that increase as the temperature gets higher. it seems like the fluctuations are around 10% of the actual temperature.   Also I see random scrambled readings. 

I have also used AD595 chips, and have had no problem... nice and quite. Have you run into this problem while you were shaking out your system?

I hope you can get the bad links back on line, I'd like to see your code.

I use a laptop to control and log the the results of the run graphically. If you are interested in trying it I'll send you the app and the Arduino code I am using.

Bummer... Attachments no longer work...  :-(

Check back another time, seems like a server error, the file should be available once fixed.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131