Go Down

Topic: New 32 Bit Arduino Due... (Read 26 times) previous topic - next topic

Vanyamba

For 30$ I'd say this devise is "arduino-mega" killer, and "arduino-uno" colonizer.. :smiley-slim:

With Arduino pinout and Maple software I'd said this is a "try-to-buy" product  :)
I guess Arduino Due is anounced to satisfy giant user-demand  :) :) :)

Coding Badly

Would be nice to hear review from people with hands-on experience, is there is something they didn't mention on the web?

I don't own one and it has been months since I looked at it but what I recall...

1. There are some software differences.  If you use any libraries, expect to have to fiddle with the source code.

2. The pins are capable of sinking / sourcing less current.

3. The processor cannot be removed and embedded in the application.

eddiea6987

Just discovered one more creature:
http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=4380

Iactaully came across the Maple Leaf last night and was reading up on it, even went to their forum to perhaps get a glimps of some sample code, funny on their forum there was a thread on the release of the Due and if it was going to be a Maple killer,
http://forums.leaflabs.com/topic.php?id=1044

some interesting bits read as follows
In terms of the actual Due product, Arduino has a long way to go. As far as I can tell, Atmel provided the hardware platform, and the Arduino team has ported most of the "core" library over. I do not know how "100% compatible" the core will be, given 32bit versus 16bit issues like the max value of an int, or the default range of PWM. On Maple, we were always of the mind of breaking Arduino compatibility in favor of exposing the 32bit hardware. The Arduino developers might feel differently.

Smoothing out the edges on the 32 bit platform was not easy for us, and I am sure Arduino will run in to many of the same problems. I look forward to seeing how they solve some of these issues, especially related the the USB and bootloading mechanisms. The Duo prototype they had only has one chip, like Maple. This turned out to be an enormous headache, since the USB programming interface lives on the same processor that is being reprogrammed (as you all know)!

Overall, the processor looks good, and is a hair faster than the *current* maple (...). I look forward to seeing the first reviews of the device in January.

Here at LeafLabs we have a very full product roadmap and have been working on some partnerships of our own that you will learn about in the coming months. Maple Native Betas are out the door, and with 1MB of external RAM! Oak has been admittedly behind schedule, but the finish line (aka release) is finally in sight! Further, STM32 is a very mature processor platform with a lot of life left in it. Our current hardware is based around STM32-F1 series processors, but we are looking forward to hardware with F2, and even F4 series chips! These are faster and better in every way ;)
I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

Magician

Actually this device isn't quite Maple from Leaflab ( 45 $ ), nevertheless they refer to download  the same software from Leaflab. Probably, there is not much difference in hardware between two.
Compare with arduino, this could be counted as disadvantage:
2. The pins are capable of sinking / sourcing less current.

3. The processor cannot be removed and embedded in the application.

The same time, processor couldn't be removed on Mega ether. And missing usb chip I'd count as advantage, because wouldn't be problem to save a power ( everyday someone asking on this forum : how to put usb chip to sleep or how to cut power line).
There are more (from my POV most ineresting)
* DCDC power supply allow power input voltage from 9 to 30V DC thus making possible to take virtually any power supply adapter on the market, also enable application which are in industrial power supply 24VDC.
* carefully selected all components to work reliable in INDUSTIRAL temperature range -25+85C so the board can be used in INDUSTIRAL applications.
* ULTRA LOW POWER voltage regulators and the consumption is only few microamps, which enables handheld and battery powered applications.
* Li-Ion rechargable battery power supply option with BUILD-IN on board charger, so when you attach battery it is automatically charged and kept in this state until the other power source (USB or external adapter) is removed and it AUTOMATICALLY will power the board - no jumpers, no switches!

Go Up