Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: New 32 Bit Arduino Due...  (Read 25749 times)
nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

no JTAG connector
That's correct. Even if you use a makefile you still copy the result to the Mbed "disc" and the bootloader takes over. In itself I have no real problem with that but there should be alternatives.

I think they want you to be part of the Mbed collective.

From what I've seen the online compiler is good in many ways, I think you can just grab a serial setup library etc and it's whipped into you project, all rather seamless.

But it's very hard to find out about this stuff because the forum is closed. I kid you not, you have to be an Mbed owner to join (serial # is needed). You can browse but tough luck if you want to ask a question before buying a board.

Is it any wonder there's so much mis information about the system?

As for LPCXpresso that's entirely different, all open and available in three flavours from small LPC11xx to the ... well how about a quote from the "Getting started" guide

LPC1100: LPC1102 LPC1111/101 LPC1111/102 LPC1111/201 LPC1111/202 LPC1112/101 LPC1112/102 LPC1112/201 LPC1112/202 LPC1113/201 LPC1113/202 LPC1113/301 LPC1113/302 LPC1114/201 LPC1114/202 LPC1114/301 LPC1114/302 LPC11C12/301 LPC11C14/301 LPC11C22/301 LPC11C24/301 LPC11U12/201 LPC11U13/201 LPC11U14/201
OM11049: LPC1114/302
OM13014: LPC11U1
OM13012: LPC11C24
LPC1200: LPC1224/201 LPC1224/221 LPC1225/301 LPC1225/321 LPC1226/301 LPC1227/301
OM13008: LPC1227
LPC1300: LPC1311 LPC1311/01 LPC1313 LPC1313/01 LPC1342 LPC1343
OM11048: LPC1343
LPC1700: LPC1751 LPC1752 LPC1754 LPC1756 LPC1758 LPC1759 LPC1763 LPC1764 LPC1765 LPC1766 LPC1767 LPC1768 LPC1769 LPC1774 LPC1776 LPC1777 LPC1778 LPC1785 LPC1786 LPC1787 LPC1788
OM13000: LPC1769
LPC1800: Coming soon
LPC2000: LPC2109 LPC2109/01 LPC2134 LPC2142 LPC2362 LPC2929
LPC3000: LPC3130 LPC3250
LPC4000: Coming soon

As you can see it includes the 1768 that the Mbed uses and with Xpresso you get full SWD/JTAG debugging and the programmer/debugger half can be snapped off to be a generic LPC programmer.

Anyway I don't want this to be a "bag the Mbed" post, it looks like a great platform and I could still get one but I think I'll be going down the Xpresso road. With my background it has a better "seat of the pants" feel to it but others will think incorrectdifferently smiley

Do you think it's possible to create a debugger than would work for the normal Arduino Audience?
What sort of debugger? For which platform?

______
Rob
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:58:40 am by Graynomad » Logged

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

SparkFun also got it: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9564

Wk

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

BTW: how about this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LPC1768-minimal-systems-boards-/260848402688?pt=BI_Electrical_Equipment_Tools&hash=item3cbbc6c100

Do I need anything else to work with it? Or just Software?

Wk

nr Bundaberg, Australia
Tesla Member
Scattered showers my arse -- Noah, 2348BC.
View Profile

Do I need anything else to work with it? Or just Software?
I'm still learning about LPCs myself, but most (all?) of them have a built-in bootloader connected to UART0. Pull a certain pin low during reset and the chip enters the bootloader which talks to a dumb terminal prog. AFAIK you can program it from that. As to what file you send I don't yet know, presumably HEX file or something.

In the light of that I would suggest that board can be used as is if you get a compiler and that can be downloaded from Code Red.

Personally, for another $20 I'd get the LPCXpresso and have a system that I know is designed to all work together, or for the same reason get an Mbed.

______
Rob

Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

Just discovered one more creature:
http://microcontrollershop.com/product_info.php?products_id=4380

It has less power than NXP, but it uses  arduino IDE, (no cloud, ha?),  so don't have to spend couple month to study new IDE, with new buggy tool-chain ( like Eclipse, never works for me, and "debugging" Eclipse IDE isn't something I would enjoy)., etc.

For 30$ I'd say this devise is "arduino-mega" killer, and "arduino-uno" colonizer.. smiley-slim

Would be nice to hear review from people with hands-on experience, is there is something they didn't mention on the web?

Saint Petersburg, Russia
Amateur
View Profile

For 30$ I'd say this devise is "arduino-mega" killer, and "arduino-uno" colonizer.. smiley-slim

With Arduino pinout and Maple software I'd said this is a "try-to-buy" product  smiley
I guess Arduino Due is anounced to satisfy giant user-demand  smiley smiley smiley

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Would be nice to hear review from people with hands-on experience, is there is something they didn't mention on the web?

I don't own one and it has been months since I looked at it but what I recall...

1. There are some software differences.  If you use any libraries, expect to have to fiddle with the source code.

2. The pins are capable of sinking / sourcing less current.

3. The processor cannot be removed and embedded in the application.

Brazil
God Member
Wusik Dot Com
View Profile

WOOT?

What's the Flash and Ram on this board?

Wk

West palm beach, FL
View Profile

Iactaully came across the Maple Leaf last night and was reading up on it, even went to their forum to perhaps get a glimps of some sample code, funny on their forum there was a thread on the release of the Due and if it was going to be a Maple killer,
http://forums.leaflabs.com/topic.php?id=1044

some interesting bits read as follows
In terms of the actual Due product, Arduino has a long way to go. As far as I can tell, Atmel provided the hardware platform, and the Arduino team has ported most of the "core" library over. I do not know how "100% compatible" the core will be, given 32bit versus 16bit issues like the max value of an int, or the default range of PWM. On Maple, we were always of the mind of breaking Arduino compatibility in favor of exposing the 32bit hardware. The Arduino developers might feel differently.

Smoothing out the edges on the 32 bit platform was not easy for us, and I am sure Arduino will run in to many of the same problems. I look forward to seeing how they solve some of these issues, especially related the the USB and bootloading mechanisms. The Duo prototype they had only has one chip, like Maple. This turned out to be an enormous headache, since the USB programming interface lives on the same processor that is being reprogrammed (as you all know)!

Overall, the processor looks good, and is a hair faster than the *current* maple (...). I look forward to seeing the first reviews of the device in January.

Here at LeafLabs we have a very full product roadmap and have been working on some partnerships of our own that you will learn about in the coming months. Maple Native Betas are out the door, and with 1MB of external RAM! Oak has been admittedly behind schedule, but the finish line (aka release) is finally in sight! Further, STM32 is a very mature processor platform with a lot of life left in it. Our current hardware is based around STM32-F1 series processors, but we are looking forward to hardware with F2, and even F4 series chips! These are faster and better in every way smiley-wink

I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

Actually this device isn't quite Maple from Leaflab ( 45 $ ), nevertheless they refer to download  the same software from Leaflab. Probably, there is not much difference in hardware between two.
Compare with arduino, this could be counted as disadvantage:
2. The pins are capable of sinking / sourcing less current.

3. The processor cannot be removed and embedded in the application.
The same time, processor couldn't be removed on Mega ether. And missing usb chip I'd count as advantage, because wouldn't be problem to save a power ( everyday someone asking on this forum : how to put usb chip to sleep or how to cut power line).
There are more (from my POV most ineresting)
* DCDC power supply allow power input voltage from 9 to 30V DC thus making possible to take virtually any power supply adapter on the market, also enable application which are in industrial power supply 24VDC.
 * carefully selected all components to work reliable in INDUSTIRAL temperature range -25+85C so the board can be used in INDUSTIRAL applications.
 * ULTRA LOW POWER voltage regulators and the consumption is only few microamps, which enables handheld and battery powered applications.
 * Li-Ion rechargable battery power supply option with BUILD-IN on board charger, so when you attach battery it is automatically charged and kept in this state until the other power source (USB or external adapter) is removed and it AUTOMATICALLY will power the board - no jumpers, no switches!

Saint Petersburg, Russia
Amateur
View Profile

Smoothing out the edges on the 32 bit platform was not easy for us, and I am sure Arduino will run in to many of the same problems. I look forward to seeing how they solve some of these issues, especially related the the USB and bootloading mechanisms. The Duo prototype they had only has one chip, like Maple. This turned out to be an enormous headache, since the USB programming interface lives on the same processor that is being reprogrammed (as you all know)!

I guess they will use something similar to SAM-BA flashing scripts.

www.rocketscream.com
View Profile

You'll be surprise how the new boards going into bootloader mode!  smiley-zipper
It's definitely NOT using WDT expiry, pin pulling reset pin (not sure it works), or push button.

Saint Petersburg, Russia
Amateur
View Profile

It's definitely NOT using WDT expiry, pin pulling reset pin (not sure it works), or push button.

Oh no! It seems they "safely remove" themselves by USB  smiley

West palm beach, FL
View Profile

i think i am actually going to invest on the board that Magician posted. at least to play around with until the Due gets here , i dont know what i want to do with 32bit processing power though :/ dam i also want to buy a  new soldering/hot-air station ...if only i could Serial.print(money)

I could print the Arduino logo on a box of cereal and sell it as "Arduin-O's"

Saint Petersburg, Russia
Amateur
View Profile

i dont know what i want to do with 32bit processing power though :/

32-bit controllers are 3.3V. It allows me to use more powerful modern devices - audio-codecs, FPGA, SRAM, USB, LCD etc.
But it's also requires from me to use more advanced technologies. Modern chips are produced not as DIP chips. So if 8-bit "shields" I've made myself since this is faster-cheaper, then 32-bit board is faster-cheaper to make by ordering or buying ready-to-use.
The answer "why" is simple 32/8=4. Four times more work.
"There are 128-bit chips," this is my 32-bit mantra.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 11:49:58 am by Vanyamba » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: