Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
Author Topic: List of your favorite IC's  (Read 6132 times)
France
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Let me answer your questions on the reverse order!

My favourite IC is the I2C 4-channel true colour Avago ADJD-S371 / ADJD-S311 sensor.
How does it compare with this board??  http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=10665501753  (I have one of these and I will test it soon..., maybe sell)

The Taos TCO320 convert colour into frequency, one channel at a time to an 8 to 24 kHz range.

Hence you need to ask each channel sequentially and rely on a precise clock to perform a full measure. So the sketch is more elaborate.

I considered this option but went for the I2C Avago sensor instead.
That's a very interesting chip. Where can we get it? Price?? Nice work on your article!
Check at Sparkfun for the IC at US$5 impossible to solder without proper equipment, or the ready-to-use evaluation board at US$15 worth the price.

There are many libraries available for Arduino.

I designed my own to meet specific integration into fischertechnik models.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 09:38:27 am by avenue33 » Logged

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

921 600 bps ( = 14.7456 MHz / 8 )

according to my maths
921 600 bps ( = 14.7456 MHz / 16 )

so try Serial.begin(1000000UL);
Failing that set the divisor registers directly.

Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
... in The Woods In Vermont
View Profile

OK, Here's my second pass at a $10 assortment of Power FETS (I talked myself out of the first one ):

$10 Power Field Effect Transistor Assortment (10 FETS)   
quantityPart #Description   Volts   Amps   @gate V   RDSon   Package
2   IRF540   NFET    80   20   11           0.077          TO-220
2   IRF9540   PFET     80   20   -11           0.12         TO-220

2   IRF740   NFET          400   10   10           0.55          TO-220

2   IRF3205   NFET           50   80   10           0.008          TO-220
2   IRF4905   PFET      50   50   -10          0.02          TO-220
4       2N7000      NFET         60    0.2    5              1.8           TO-92    **Added
10   LM555    "Timer" IC used as FET Gate Driver       DIP-8

(A More detailed page will be available on our arduino-info Wiki Real Soon Now...)

NOTES: These are powerful transistors with very low losses due to On-Resistance and switching. BUT they are useable only at voltages above 9V, and preferable 12V or more. This is because they need 10 volts of Gate Voltage change to be turned fully on.  Gate drive for NFETS connected as low-side switches (Source at Ground) can easily be done using 555 ICs as Gate Drivers (see Wiki). At 12 to 18 Volts, 555s can also be used as drivers for PFETs connected as high-side switches.  At higher voltages some other circuitry must be used for PFETS.

There are some nice "Logic Gate" Power FETS, but they all cost a lot more. We plan to offer them individually.
We do include 4-  2N7000s, a small Logic-Gate NFET

Please offer comments, suggestions etc...!!

« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 02:41:10 pm by terryking228 » Logged

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com
HOW-TO: http://ArduinoInfo.Info

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

A small low current MOSFET that seems to work fine at logic levels is the 2N7000 (fig 1 shows useful typical current at gate logic voltage), perhaps it would be a good candidate to offer in the assortment mix? I think they can be had pretty cheap.

http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N7000.pdf

Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
View Profile

A small low current MOSFET that seems to work fine at logic levels is the 2N7000

Nice! I added 4 of those in the package, same price....

Thanks, Lefty...

Regards, Terry King terry@yourduino.com  - Check great prices, devices and Arduino-related boards at http://YourDuino.com

Newcastle, England
View Profile

My favourite IC is definately an ATmega328P, the same one in most arduinos smiley . I also like the classic 555 and the LM386. Flip flops come in handy because they are so versatile (read latches, binary counters, LED flashers)... I would like to like op-amps, but they are something I have never properly used. My first robot was built around an op amp, but it never worked smiley-sad . I haven't played with them since.

Onions.

My website: http://www.harryrabbit.co.uk/electronics/home.html Up and running now! (Feel free to look round!) smiley-grin

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

Thought you were going to put some voltage regulators in there?

There are so many possibilities and applications that I seems like that's a category of it's own...  I'll be detailing that soon...

Not sure if "one of everything" is good, or "enough to really build something" is better??

What do you think?

It's just that you had mentioned them initially, and there seems to be quite a few threads here about using, typically, the LM317, and people asking how to "power" their project from the Arduino, when they really need more current. Maybe using a wall wart is the easier solution. Or fixed 5V and 3.3V regulators?

"One of everything" probably leads to madness. smiley Depending on the audience, I think "most useful" is a good criterion, but then that's hard to judge as well. If you're aiming at people just getting started, who are looking to learn as they go, does that change the mix?

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

OK, Here's my second pass at a $10 assortment of Power FETS (I talked myself out of the first one ):

$10 Power Field Effect Transistor Assortment (10 FETS)   
quantityPart #Description   Volts   Amps   @gate V   RDSon   Package
2   IRF540   NFET    80   20   11           0.077          TO-220
2   IRF9540   PFET     80   20   -11           0.12         TO-220

2   IRF740   NFET          400   10   10           0.55          TO-220

2   IRF3205   NFET           50   80   10           0.008          TO-220
2   IRF4905   PFET      50   50   -10          0.02          TO-220
4       2N7000      NFET         60    0.2    5              1.8           TO-92    **Added
10   LM555    "Timer" IC used as FET Gate Driver       DIP-8

IMO it is a big mistake not to include a logic-level power mosfet. I'd drop the 2 x IRF540 and replace it by 1 x STP40NF10L (100v 40A), which costs about the same over here and is much more useful because it is logic level. I'd be tempted to replace the 2 x IRF4905 by another STP40NF10L too, because I rarely need P-channel power mosfets or switch more than 10A, and you already have the IFR9540 in there. I'd also consider including a p-channel low power mosfet, but unfortunately they mostly come in SMD packages.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

As the 'Book of 5 Rings' says "I have no favorite weapon"
I make use of whatever I happen to have available or can scrounge up as a sample  smiley-lol

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

As the 'Book of 5 Rings' says "I have no favorite weapon"
I make use of whatever I happen to have available or can scrounge up as a sample  smiley-lol

Well, sure. You've been doing this for a while. I figure you could open up shop! smiley-wink

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Global Moderator
Boston area, metrowest
Brattain Member
Author of "Arduino for Teens". Available for Design & Build services. Now with Unlimited Eagle board sizes!
View Profile

Sure - just need to come up with a killer board smiley-cool

Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Hey Everyone, thanks for the many suggestions (and a few laughs.. a highly important component of personal electronics).

I'll try to answer a few things, ask a few things (sounds like a good day at the bench...)

Thought you were going to put some voltage regulators in there?
  Yes.. I will, real soon.. but it probably will be a $5 assortment because there are lots of possibilities, including my personal favorite LM317 which I once bought a barrel of (literally.. but I'd digress if I started that story).

IMO it is a big mistake not to include a logic-level power mosfet.
I'll try to.. I'm trying to get a low-cost bunch that I know I can get at a good price from Mr. Tang at CEPREI, down the street in Shenzhen. But all the logic level part# I've tried with him so far returns "The baby does not correspond to" (well, that's the literal translation of the Chinese equivalent of "part not found"..)  The STP40NF10L is about $1.75 at Mouser and I'll ask my partner Peng to look for it at some of the other 900+ suppliers in the SEG market.

I want to carry some of the newer, most-useable parts but it doesn't make sense for me to try to do what Digikey and Mouser do so well, and ship from China. "When" I write a good? How-To page on Power FETS I will link to some Mouser part#s.

OH: Drivers.. after looking at the (cheap) possibilities for driving these low-cost but 10V gate swing FETS I decided to include 10 drivers useable up to 18v for either NFET or PFETs. It's the good-ole 555 which makes a nice +-200ma driver, swinging near ground and supply. Plus you can just use it as a quick PWM driver to try things out. Works well on 12V for both N and P, and works well for N even when drain voltage is high.  I gotta write THAT page and do some diagrams. 

There are a good selection of octal NPN packages for low-side switching, but are there any complimentary OCTAL PNP high-side switch parts?
I'd love to find a nice octal (8 in a package) driver that was source-sink. There are some cool FET gate drivers that would probably work for that, but I can't buy them for 25 cents! But I'll add a couple of  ULN2003 Transistor Darlington Array to the IC assortment for now.

The talk here reminds me of the saying, "We don't make much money, but we have a lot of fun!"..  As long as US Social Security keeps running, and I stay with my local Mediterranean Diet, I can keep running  smiley-grin

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

The STP40NF10L is about $1.75 at Mouser and I'll ask my partner Peng to look for it at some of the other 900+ suppliers in the SEG market.

If you're looking for something that costs less, there's the STP16NF06L at around half the price of the STP40NF10L, but rated 60v 16A instead of 100v 40A.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
View Profile

there's the STP16NF06L at around half the price of the STP40NF10L, but rated 60v 16A instead of 100v 40A.

OK, thanks DC. 

I need to separate out semiconductors I can get from my commodity guys at low prices and parts from "distributors" of more up-to-the-minute items..

Topsham, Vermont USA
Edison Member
View Profile

Ok, VOLTAGE REGULATORS...

.."Come, sit by the glowing LEDs. We serve homemade +5 and Ground.."   (Alan Shils, IBM 1976) 

My idea here is to provide what you'd most likely need on a weekend project, not special stuff you'd expect to have to order. And cheap.

Your opinions??

- Seventy-Eight-Oh-What??

(TO-220 package) probably 7805, 7808, 7809, 7812, 7815, 7824?
78L (TO92 pkg) 78L5 78L12 all I can get now

79?? Negative regulators??  7915 probably. Others?

LM317T adjustable TO220 of course  LM317L  version??

LM1117T TO220 adjustable Low Dropout   LM1117T-5 5 volt

LM2940 TO220 LDO 5V  Very fault tolerant

I'm figuring how many (lots) for $5  ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
Jump to: