Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: wondering about diy platforms  (Read 971 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

just a question. which platform is better for arduino and diy. or is it personal preference. apple or windows?

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

Linux is the best  smiley !

View Profile

sorry not that smart. one of them is based on linux, right smiley-slim

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

As the Arduino platform/IDE was designed to run on all three of the popular PC OSs, I don't think that any one OS has an advantage over the others from an Arduino perspective. Use the OS you like or have access to.

Lefty

View Profile

right. which one do you think is most popular? or again does it not matter. lemme put it this way i am wondering if there is any clear reason to go with one over the other. my job is moving towards me having to do a lot of building with micro processors  and i am wondering what ppl think.

CO, USA
God Member
View Profile

sorry not that smart. one of them is based on linux, right smiley-slim

One of what?

Apple uses a sort of BSD kernel. So, it's a Unix-like beast, just as Linux is.

... it is poor civic hygiene to install technologies that could someday
facilitate a police state. -- Bruce Schneier

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

right. which one do you think is most popular?

For installed user base I would assume, 1=Windows, 2=Apple, 3= Linux. Just a guess, I don't really know or care.

or again does it not matter.

From an Arduino perspective, it doesn't matter. Choose for other reasons personal to you.

lemme put it this way i am wondering if there is any clear reason to go with one over the other. my job is moving towards me having to do a lot of building with micro processors  and i am wondering what ppl think.

I use Arduino with Windows, because that is what I owned when I bought my first arduino board. Have had no reason to consider changing so far.

Montreal
Faraday Member
Per aspera ad astra.
View Profile

As you are not going to stay with arduino forever, and gonna to drift to another mCPU / platform, there is one aspect I came across recently:
Maple Rev 1 attempted to run both DFU and CDC ACM devices simultaneously on the USB peripheral. On Linux, this worked great. The OS would service the DFU driver during uploads, and the CDC ACM for serial port transactions. There was no reset necessary for uploads. No waiting. The bootloader was always running the background, ready to receive commands.

The problem was that only Linux did this. Windows refused to attach more than one driver to a single USB device without repackaging the DFU and CDC ACM into a single IAD Compound Device. It’s not terribly important what this means, except for two things.
Four drivers were necessary to make everything work.
IAD is not supported by OS X.

Mac OS X, on the other hand, only supported Compound USB, a different trick that is not supported by Windows.

http://leaflabs.com/docs/bootloader.html

Faraday Member
20 LEDs are enough
View Profile

I am running Arduino with Linux. However sometimes I like to run AVRstudio. Then I always need Windows. Fortunately AVRstudio will run in a Windows VM.

Check out my experiments http://blog.blinkenlight.net

View Profile

ok thanks for advice. now i am wondering what are your thoughts on mobile device for projects. ie. notebook,netbook, and tablet.

SF Bay Area (USA)
Tesla Member
Strongly opinionated, but not official!
View Profile

Once you get beyond Arduino, you will find that a LOT of "development tools" only run under Windows.  (AVR Studio is the AVR-related major tool that is windows-only.)  Linux is probably second most popular, because it started as a development project, and doing electronics/development on a Mac is pretty painful (Mac in unix based, so a lot of unix tools can be compiled to run on it, but it's definitely in the minority.  (for example, KiCAD, an open source electronics schematic/pcb design program that runs on windows and linux, compiles on Mac, but doesn't quite work.)

Linux is free, from an end-user perspective.  You can find an old machine in someone's trash (or a very cheap used system), put linux on it, and have a fine "electronics/software lab development machine".

definitely a notebook (or desktop.)  With an external display.  any software or electronics development is much easier with a big screen, and gets painful as the screen gets smaller.  It's nice to be able to put a 60-line editor window next to a full-page of documentation...  I don't know of any development environments that make use of a touch-screen (nor do I see how they could), so I don't see what the advantage of paying extra for a tablet would be.

All that said, I use a Mac.  I have WXP running under virtual box for when I need windows (or I can use one of the kids' machines.)  I like having the combination of a commercially supported GUI and an underlying unix layer that can be programmed and scripted in the usual ways...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: