Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
Author Topic: I know you don't like this but I do  (Read 3294 times)
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I remember a Radio Shack from decades ago also, and back then, it was a cool place to go.  There were no RC toys, no cell phones, just interesting (for the time) electronics.  Those new fangled triacs were over there on that wall and the LEDs were individually packaged on the racks.  It was a place that sponsored electronic hobby clubs meetings and had enclosures that we could open up and see if the parts would fit.  The guy that owned it was a ham radio operator and had some of his more obscure contact cards on display.  A couple of us nurds, although we didn't know we were nurds then, would prowl for a hour gathering up just the right set of parts to make a nixie tube that we stole from a discarded stereo work.

Some claim that when Radio Shack started selling computers, that it was the beginning of their downfall. They may be right, but that is the Radio Shack I grew up with in the 1980s.

They still had a great selection of parts and stuff for custom projects, lots of tools, everything you needed. Consumer electronics in another section (I still have a great 100W Optimus component stereo system from my high-school days), toys scattered around; remember this kit - I had one (not my Flickr): http://www.flickr.com/photos/blazerman/2371910888/

...and one half of the store dedicated to micro/home-computing. This was just before the PC started to really get popular. My parents bought me (and upgraded over the years) my TRS-80 Color Computer system (first a CoCo 2, later a CoCo 3). I remember going in, and the salesmen letting me sit down and play with the machines. Invariably there was someone or other in there coding something (heck, sometimes it was one of the salesmen) on one of the Model 4's. There were daisy wheel printers, and large 132 column greenbar noisy beasts. The CoCo tended to stand out when it was on - its neon green screen with black characters, and psychedelic flashing rainbow cursor. That, or it was running the Canyon Climber cartridge, begging you to play it. The staff were still knowledgeable about what they sold - whether it was computers, stereos, or parts.

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Please don't abbreviate Radio Shack to "RS".

In Australia, another two words spring to mind, heh.

As far as I can make out, over here at least the "electronics" shops are more like gadget shops these days. Like, they sell plastic guns that kill flies at a distance. Some of them stock components sure, but you need to be desperate enough to pay something like 5 times as much as you would pay online if you can wait a day or two.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
Phi_prompt, phi_interfaces, phi-2 shields, phi-panels
View Profile

Arduino team has let the word out about RadioShack carrying arduino but I have not seen them on RadioShack site yet. I hope they will carry them before the holiday shopping season starts. Some hope to put an arduino in an average person  smiley-wink
If that happens, stock up parts designers! May the January be a month for high arduino accessory/kit/shield demands.

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

Time to get an improved Blink example out then! See other thread.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,74861.msg564134.html

Boston
God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

I wish Arduino all the best and hope they succeed in their partnership with Radio Shack.  However, Radio shack could do with some new employees and procedures. 
I went buy one the other day as I was missing just one small part for a project.
What other store allows employees to eat out of white styrofoam containers while manning the front counter?  The clerk was licking her greasy fingers and had to stop eating when I walked up.
Also, I was paying with cash and they made me answer no that I did not wish to donate $1 to Lance Armstrong's foundation buy clicking on the credit card pad.   The pad was not near me and I was paying with cash.

For a long time Radio Shack has been a turnoff and only used in an emergency.  I hope they can turn it around.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Here it comes:

http://www.radioshack.com/uc/index.jsp?page=researchLibraryArticle&articleUrl=../graphics/uc/rsk/USContent/HTML/pages/microcontroller.html&noBc=true

Arduino uno is not yet in the correct sub category (should be microcontrollers but under computers) but it's there and I checked stock online. My local store should have it already. Time to take a picture proof they are doing it.

And, here is a site to share projects done with RadioShack projects. I didn't read the terms yet but what if I had a bunch of LEDs and they are not RadioShack. I could claim them to have come from radioshack smiley
« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 04:26:55 pm by liudr » Logged

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
"Keep it R.E.I.L. - "Research, Experiment, Investigate and Learn"
View Profile

@ liudr

I check the site, and check the others stuffs ( shields and accessories ). Their prices are $$$ - expensive

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
I learn a bit every time I visit the forum.
View Profile

They have their own 'trap the customer' policies that led to things like the first Trash-80's with the 1/8" shorter than standard card slots. Why? So you had to buy cards from them at 3x the going price. Sure they did get that 'fixed' but then again, they just made another trap.

Not to think that's unusual because it isn't. Proprietary parts is business as usual with large corporations.

IMO Radio Shack lives on the ignorance of multitudes while we who know better are a small minority.

With Arduino there will be kits and books to sell. I'm a bit amazed they didn't hit with a blitz of those including $10 40-piece jumper wire sets.

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

IMO Radio Shack lives on the ignorance of multitudes while we who know better are a small minority.

Sounds like a good reason why aliens haven't officially landed on White House lawn yet. We are just too stupid to deserve a visit.  smiley-yell smiley-yell smiley-yell

OTOH, I think the price tag is not too bad. Where else do you buy genuine arduinos without paying ridiculous shipping charges and the long wait? I think (without sarcasm) it is a great deal for anyone trying to get their first arduino.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Got mine through Amazon for $27.50 shipped.

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

Got mine through Amazon for $27.50 shipped.

OK just searched and found. Right. Still, it's not bad to see arduino in retail stores. These come in retail packages that are just expensive.  smiley-wink

Toronto, Canada
Edison Member
"Keep it R.E.I.L. - "Research, Experiment, Investigate and Learn"
View Profile

Opps, I did not think of the shipping charge to order the Arduino board from others places. 

You right liudr, $40 for an Arduino board from RS is not that bad, you save in shipping charge. I paid my board about $39 plus HST ( 13 % tax ), and yep, same price at RS in the States. And no shipping charge, I get my board locally. 

Central MN, USA
Tesla Member
View Profile

I will make a commitment to visit my local RadioShack a couple times to talk with the clerks about arduino and hopefully promote the sales. They will hopefully be more knowledgeable and sell these arduinos to newbies. You can't have that on an online store.

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

They would do well to stock parts assortments and kits considering the already existing 'Arduino base' as well as future sales. Arduino is like Lego, you need a bit set to be really happy.

Somewhere in the Scottish Highlands...
View Profile

I got my Mega 2560 and Ethernet shield there. The prices are average, shipping is nonexistent, and they are very knowledgeable. On the other hand, maybe they know to leave me alone since I'm in there fairly often. They do seem to have a fairly high turnover rate.

charWittySig not defined!

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
Jump to: