Go Down

Topic: I know you don't like this but I do (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

wayneft

I saw the Uno R3 hanging on the wall at my Radio Shack the other day so I decided to pick one up.  I was a little disappointed though because the capacitor on the output of the 3.3v regulator wasn't placed correctly and only the ground pad was making contact.  Luckily it was a quick fix for me. I was also a little surprised to see they are not packing the board in an anti-static bag.
I2C GPS Shield

Checkout my Open Source GPS Tracker on Kickstarter

GoForSmoke

What do you expect from Radio Shack? Now it's checking the knock-offs they get from off-shore sweat shops and including antistatic bags? Don't you know those kind of expectations kill JOBS?

I find it harder to express logic in English than in Code.
Sometimes an example says more than many times as many words.

liudr

I thought radioshack sells real arduinos. Those boxes look real to me.

retrolefty

I thought radioshack sells real arduinos. Those boxes look real to me.

They are, RS has become an 'official' distrubutor of 'real' arduino boards. How long they continue to offer them I assume would be on how well RS can do selling them, so only time will tell about that.

Lefty

GoForSmoke

So Tandy is not just contracting out to Arduino spec but getting boards directly from Arduino? And Arduino doesn't check their work?

retrolefty

Jan 12, 2012, 05:30 pm Last Edit: Jan 12, 2012, 05:32 pm by retrolefty Reason: 1

So Tandy is not just contracting out to Arduino spec but getting boards directly from Arduino?

Correct

And Arduino doesn't check their work?

Not the first manufacturing error we have heard about from an end user. I'm sure they have some kind of QC process steps performed in their manufacturing runs, but errors happen. Reality is a harsh mistress.By the way I have bought several Asian arduino clone boards and lots of electronic modules from Ebay, all have worked fine and quality left nothing to be desired, so luck of which seller/manufacture chosen is a factor.

GoForSmoke

I went in and saw. The board prices aren't jacked up much really. They also have kit boxes with a few of this and that in a nice compartment box, but pricey. At least they have them with enough bits to do some projects.

Osgeld

the arduino is at a fair price, the propeller board (which is what I really wanted) they can go choke on, 15$ markup for some more plastic to throw away and a short usb cord, so I just went to parallax and got it for 25 (plus like 3 bucks mail, which is still about 15 dollars less than RS with tax and gas)

PS: what is up with all this crap coming with short usb cords? no I dont develop 2 inches away from a laptop in a coffee shop, if your going to charge me for it at least make it around a yard long (which I buy at the dollar store)
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

GoForSmoke

The length of USB cord can actually mess with USB timing. There are maximum lengths. 5 cm is awful short though.

Go Up