Go Down

Topic: ATMega2560 ICSP (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

CrossRoads

"Couldn't I just use the TX, RX pins and remove the UNO to upload code to my MEGA2560 on PCB?"
I believe so, if your MEGA2560 has a bootloader already installed.

"Also,  what if I have other IC's connected to my MOSI, MISO, SCK pins on my micro? "
If the other parts do not have outputs driving the same lines, I would think  you'd be okay without jumpers.

The FTDI board would be a handy addition for downloading code from a PC via the Serial port; you could connect any of the Serial, Serial1, Serial2, Serial3 at other times & use that as a debug monitor via Serial.printx statements in your code.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.
Arduino for Teens available at Amazon.com.

dbbaker2007

"Couldn't I just use the TX, RX pins and remove the UNO to upload code to my MEGA2560 on PCB?"
I believe so, if your MEGA2560 has a bootloader already installed.

The MEGA2560 does not have the bootloader.  I was thinking I could use the setup I had in the first post to burn the bootloader and then use the TX, RX from the UNO to upload code?  I am thinking correctly on this?

CrossRoads

In my opinion,  you are indeed thinking correctly on that.
Do you have a 100nF cap from an external DTR pin to the reset line also? Need for automated reset durung serial downloads. Very handy.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years. Check out the ATMega1284P based Bobuino and other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  www.crossroadsfencing.com/BobuinoRev17.

dbbaker2007

In my opinion,  you are indeed thinking correctly on that.
Do you have a 100nF cap from an external DTR pin to the reset line also? Need for automated reset durung serial downloads. Very handy.

I do not,  I have a 22pf cap off of the reset line to GND and a 10k pullup to 5V.  If I am uploading the code from the UNO Board, shouldn't it already have a 100nF cap on the DTR line?

CrossRoads

Yes, I guess it would. But plan ahead leave pads for one.

Go Up