Go Down

Topic: 12 V Rechargable battery (Read 971 times) previous topic - next topic

j_derius

-Hi guys,

I have to find a solution for the project I'm developing which consist in 1 arduino uno, 12V stepper motor, 1 miniservo and 1 lcd shield. My problem is how to supply the energy in order to make it as portable as possible: the idea is to make it fully indipendent from external energy.
Of course the first Idea is to use a rechargable 12 Volt battery (possibly cheap and small).
So, I'm very ignorant in this matter, I don't really know which kind of battery I would need or if there are limitations, I just like to know what you think about the battery I've found here:
http://www.diotronic.com/alimentacion/pilas-y-baterias/baterias-de-plomo/bateria-800ma-12v-96x25x61-5_r_358_8434.aspx
http://www.diotronic.com/alimentacion/pilas-y-baterias/baterias-de-plomo/bateria-800ma-12v-96x25x61-5_r_358_8434.aspx

Are they compatible with the project I'm doing? Then do you think is it possible to recharge it with a common DC 12V power supply? or do I need something different? or maybe I'm totally wrong?

Thanks a lot

jd

cr0sh

-Hi guys,

I have to find a solution for the project I'm developing which consist in 1 arduino uno, 12V stepper motor, 1 miniservo and 1 lcd shield. My problem is how to supply the energy in order to make it as portable as possible: the idea is to make it fully indipendent from external energy.
Of course the first Idea is to use a rechargable 12 Volt battery (possibly cheap and small).
So, I'm very ignorant in this matter, I don't really know which kind of battery I would need or if there are limitations, I just like to know what you think about the battery I've found here:

Are they compatible with the project I'm doing? Then do you think is it possible to recharge it with a common DC 12V power supply? or do I need something different? or maybe I'm totally wrong?

Thanks a lot

jd

Your main thing would be knowing how much current in total your project will draw; once you know that, then you can decide how long you want it to run on battery, in order to figure out what the total amp-hour rating of the battery should be.

For instance, that battery is an .8 Amp-Hour (800 mAh) battery; what this means is that if your circuit draws (on average) 800 mA, you will get 1 hour of run-time (this is simplified - more on this later). If your project only draws 400 mA, you would get 2 hours of run time. If it draw 1600 mA, you would get .5 hours of run time. See how that works?

Now - the reality of the situation is different. You will -never- get that perfect run time; due to internal resistance of the battery, and other factors (external temperature and the heating up of the battery as it is used, among others), the actual run-time will be much different. You also should adhere to the C10 rule of charge/discharge - otherwise the battery could be over-stressed and ruined. The best way to figure out all of this, would be to consult the datasheet for the battery; it will have all the information you need to determine whether it will fit your application (of course, you -must- know how much current your project will draw before you can do anything - so figure that out first).

Now - as far as charging a lead-acid battery? Once again, you need to follow the C10 rule for the battery; if you don't you can damage the battery. If you can follow it, then you can plug in an appropriate 12 VDC wall-wart capable of supplying the C10 current needed (or less - you never want to go greater, unless the battery is rated for it, or you don't mind shortening its life - this is a so-called "quick-charge" mode, some batteries can handle it, some can't - but in just about all cases, it wears the battery out quicker) - and then charge it for the needed time (but no longer - you can just plug it in and let it go).

This only applies to lead-acid batteries, by the way - if you want to use NiCd or NiMh (or if you want a "plug it in and forget it" charging capability with lead-acid), you would need to build a charger. If you want to use a rechargeable lithium battery of some time (Li-ION, Li-Poly) - those need special chargers, and are really outside the scope of a beginner (because if it isn't done right - such batteries have a nasty habit of explosion and fire).

:)
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

j_derius

Thanks a lot cr0sh!

Your explanations will be very helpful.

the stepper motor I'm using draw about 250 mA, I don't know about the servo since I can't find the datasheet, not even in the product website, the same about the Lcd but I guess they draw very few current (the servo is a micro servo). The point is, they will never work in the same moment, so I think I shouldn't need something that give me more than 500 mA,then the device shouldn't work for more than 1 hour.

About charging, that's a issue I really don't know much. I've googled a bit this c10 rule but I didn't find anything explain me precisely what you mean then I would need to know something more about it.
some quesitons:
can I charge a 12V 800 mA battery with a  DC 12V wall-wart power supply without damage the battery?
Is there a time limit in charging it?
how can I ensure the battery is fully charged?
can I plug the charger in the way I can use it as a power supply meanwhile I charge the battery?

For sure I'm not skilled enought to build a charger so I have to find the easer solution.

thanks again for your attention

jd

a.d

To get a rough idea of current usage you could hook up a multimeter in ammeter mode.

Si

It may be an old technology, but I have come to the conclusion that I like using lead-acid batteries. They are a lot less fussy about how they are charged than NiMh's or LiPos. I used them in my solar radio (http://srmonk.blogspot.com/2011/09/arduino-solar-radio.html) mainly because they are quite happy being trickle-charged with a current that frequently varies by a factor of 10 depending on the weather (I live in England).
--
I write books about Arduino and Electronics: http://simonmonk.org

j_derius

Thanks SI,

I think I finally use one of them as from what I've learnt during  the last days it seems much simpler.
Thanks

jd

MarkT

It may be an old technology, but I have come to the conclusion that I like using lead-acid batteries. They are a lot less fussy about how they are charged than NiMh's or LiPos. I used them in my solar radio (http://srmonk.blogspot.com/2011/09/arduino-solar-radio.html) mainly because they are quite happy being trickle-charged with a current that frequently varies by a factor of 10 depending on the weather (I live in England).

Unfortunately lead acid batteries cannot tolerate over-discharge, even for short periods, and they lose capacity and lifetime if you let them fully discharge.  NiMH are much more resistant to this I think - so it rather depends on whether you expect the battery to become fully discharged.  Lead acid should be stored fully charged and regularly topped-up in storage.
[ I won't respond to messages, use the forum please ]

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy