Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Author Topic: Full-colour RGB 4x4 button pad (monome-esque)  (Read 6150 times)
New Zealand
God Member
Arduino pebbles
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

From your description, I still don't really understand, maybe because I'm not into music.  You have samples on each button, but what do the lights do?
I can think of a couple of variations:

With just a single colour LED you could use it to represent a drum loop, with a lit LED under a button indicating it was "active". Press the button to turn the "beat" on/off and the light would do the same.

With a multi-colour LED you could have each colour represent a different drum sample for that beat and cycle through them with repeated button presses--with the current colour giving feedback on the current sample.

The same approach could be used for cool/warm/hot control for a set of fans or something...

--Phil.

Toronto
View Profile

The point of the monome is that it is a really simple, versatile interface that can be made to do whatever you like. The buttons provide input, the lights provide feedback. Musicians like it for all sorts of reasons, but of course it can be used in countless applications: to be very cheesy, your imagination is the limit.

To be honest, I have no use for it in mind personally. It's just an interesting project to work on, that combines interesting hardware and software problems.

God Member
Arduino rocks!
View Profile

To be honest, I have no use for it in mind personally. It's just an interesting project to work on, that combines interesting hardware and software problems.

That's pretty much where I am.  It looks like an amazing and versitile idea, especially the RGB clone.  Yet I can't think of a thing to do with it.

Toronto
View Profile

That's pretty much where I am.  It looks like an amazing and versitile idea, especially the RGB clone.  Yet I can't think of a thing to do with it.

Well, the PCBs for the revised RGB just arrived, so hopefully I'll come up with something soon.  smiley I think the first thing I'll do is set up a monome-compatible device where it is monochrome, but the user can select the global color. That, and maybe a "monochrome" monome-compatible where the global color is constantly cycling, just because it'd look cool. After that, I need to start thinking of ways to use the color on a button-by-button basis.

God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

im still trying to set up your first version of the project, and i cant get it working, if you could look at the posts on the last page and help me figure out whats not good, i'd be very gratful smiley

it's just that i have this huge buttons pad sitting on my desk, and it doesent seem to be working, and wires are running everywhere, and there bread boards to the waazoo, as soon as i get this running i can stick it in a nice case, and furthur program from there.

the code you gave me is so far just making rows of the same color light up except for one row which isint lighting up, and 2 rows of which only work when i press a button, and the last row, is on, but when i disconnect the button ground, then the buttons freak out for bout a second, then they all turn on... wierd, if you could put up a schematic just for how you hooked up the buttons, i think i could get this working.

thnks
-big93
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 08:49:39 pm by big93 » Logged

Toronto
View Profile

I don't have time to make a schematic right now, but the idea is this: each of the wires labelled "switch1" to "switch4" on the board is connected to a different Arduino pin, which are all configured as outputs. The wires labelled "swt-gnd1" to "swt-gnd4" are connected to different Arduino pins, each configured as inputs. These wires also have a pull-down resistor, meaning that there is a resistor of high-ish value (say, 10kOhms) that connects from the pin to ground, in addition to the wire coming from the board. Does that help? Otherwise, perhaps get in touch with me and send me pictures of your project and I'll see if I can see what's wrong with it.

God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

well what i did was resistors to the switch ground arduino pins, then connect the other side of the resistors to the actual switch grounds, and also connected another row of resistors to ground. Im intrested in knowing what the code on the first page is sapposed to make it do...becuase i want to know what to expect from the button pad if it works correctly.

Also, that one picture you took of the breadboard was pretty much how I put everything together, so for other intrested people, tell them that they can build the whole project by just looking at that picture and reading a bit of your info... It was a very well put together page...
hope to hear from you soon
-big93

Toronto
View Profile

I'm sorry, but I'm still not sure I understand what you mean by "connected another row of resistors to ground." Perhaps if you could PM me, maybe with a picture, I could help you further.

The code on the first page is really just a framework for making it do whatever you want it to. It contains a bunch of subroutines which you can fill to have it perform certain actions when certain events occur. I think the subroutines are fairly self-explanatory (i.e. on_press, while_pressed) Right now it does the following:

On startup, all the buttons are set to be blank.

When you press a button down it lights it up green and sends the coordinates of the pressed button (row, column) to the serial port. When the button is released it makes it blank again.

As I said, it's just a framework.

Toronto
View Profile

Here's the code for the color cycle demo (it just barely fits the character limit!)

Code:
// Each button randomly cycles through colors.
// When a button is pressed, all of the buttons change to that color and pause
// The pressed button(s) is/are lit up white while pressed

#define DATAOUT 11//MOSI (pin 7 of AD5206)
#define DATAIN 12//MISO - not used, but part of builtin SPI
#define SPICLOCK  13//sck (pin 8 of AD5206)
#define ROWS 4
#define COLS 4
#define H 254
#define L 64

#define slavesel(x) ((x<6) ? 0 : 1)
const byte rowpin[ROWS] = {
  14,15,16,17};
const byte slaveselect[2] = {
  10, 18};

// The pot register numbers for each of the red, green, and blue channels
const byte red[4] = {
  5, 2, 7, 8};
const byte green[4] = {
  3, 0, 6, 11};
const byte blue[4] = {
  1, 4, 9, 10};
byte rGrid[ROWS][COLS] = {
  0};
byte gGrid[ROWS][COLS] = {
  0};
byte bGrid[ROWS][COLS] = {
  0};

const byte buttonWrite[4] = {
  2, 5, 3, 4}; //Pins for the Vin of the buttons
const byte buttonRead[4] = {
  6, 7, 9, 8}; //Pins for reading the state of the buttons
boolean pressed[ROWS][COLS] = {
  0};

byte trajectory[ROWS][COLS] = {
  0};
unsigned long time;
#define PAUSE 1000

// END DEFINITIONS, BEGIN PROGRAM

char spi_transfer(volatile char data)
{
  SPDR = data;                    // Start the transmission
  while (!(SPSR & (1<<SPIF)))     // Wait the end of the transmission
  {
  };
  return SPDR;                    // return the received byte
}

byte write_pot(byte address, byte value)
{
  digitalWrite(slaveselect[slavesel(address)], LOW);
  //2 byte opcode
  spi_transfer(address % 6);
  spi_transfer(constrain(255-value,0,255));
  digitalWrite(slaveselect[slavesel(address)], HIGH); //release chip, signal end transfer
}

void setup(){
  randomSeed(1);

byte i;
  byte clr;
  pinMode(DATAOUT, OUTPUT);
  pinMode(DATAIN, INPUT);
  pinMode(SPICLOCK,OUTPUT);
  pinMode(slaveselect[0],OUTPUT);
  pinMode(slaveselect[1],OUTPUT);

for(byte r = 0; r < ROWS; ++r){
    pinMode(rowpin[r], OUTPUT); // Initialize rows
    digitalWrite(rowpin[r], LOW); // Turn all rows off
  }

digitalWrite(slaveselect[0],HIGH); //disable device
  digitalWrite(slaveselect[1],HIGH);
  // SPCR = 01010000
  //interrupt disabled,spi enabled,msb 1st,master,clk low when idle,
  //sample on leading edge of clk,system clock/4 (fastest)
  SPCR = (1<<SPE)|(1<<MSTR);
  clr=SPSR;
  clr=SPDR;
  delay(10);
  // clear all of the pot registers
  for (i=0;i<12;i++)
  {
    write_pot(i,0);
  }

//setup the button inputs and outputs
  for(int i = 0; i < ROWS; ++i){ // ???? Is ROWS the right quanitity here?
    pinMode(buttonWrite[i], OUTPUT);
    digitalWrite(buttonWrite[i],LOW);
    pinMode(buttonRead[i], INPUT);
  }

grid_init();

delay(10);

time = millis();
}

void loop(){
  always();

for(byte r = 0; r < 4; ++r){
    digitalWrite(buttonWrite[r], HIGH);
    for(byte c = 0; c < COLS; ++c){

if(pressed[r][c] != digitalRead(buttonRead[c])){
        pressed[r][c] = digitalRead(buttonRead[c]);
        if(pressed[r][c]){
          on_press(r, c);
        }
        else {
          on_release(r, c);
        }
      }
      else {
        if(pressed[r][c]){
          while_pressed(r, c);
        }
        else {
          while_released(r,c);
        }

}
        write_pot(red[c],rGrid[c][r]);
        write_pot(green[c],gGrid[c][r]);
        write_pot(blue[c],bGrid[c][r]);
    }
    digitalWrite(buttonWrite[r], LOW);

digitalWrite(rowpin[r], HIGH); //turn one row on
    delayMicroseconds(750); // display
    digitalWrite(rowpin[r], LOW); //turn the row back off
  }
}

void grid_init(){
  grid_rand();
}

void grid_rand(){
   //initialize the button grids with random data
  for(byte x = 0; x < ROWS; ++x){
    for(byte y = 0; y < COLS; ++y){
      rGrid[x][y] = random(0,256);
      gGrid[x][y] = random(0,256);
      bGrid[x][y] = random(0,256);
      trajectory[x][y] = random(1,8);
    }
  }  
}

void grid_blank(){
  //initialize the button grids with random data
      rGrid[x][y] = 0;
      gGrid[x][y] = 0;
      bGrid[x][y] = 0;
    }
  }
}

void always(){
    if((long)millis() - (long)time > 10){
      time = millis();
          rGrid[x][y] = constrain(rGrid[x][y] + ((trajectory[x][y] & B001 ) ? 1 : -1),L, H);
          gGrid[x][y] = constrain(gGrid[x][y] + ((trajectory[x][y] & B010 ) ? 1 : -1),L, H);
          bGrid[x][y] = constrain(bGrid[x][y] + ((trajectory[x][y] & B100 ) ? 1 : -1),L, H);
          if (rGrid[x][y] == ( (trajectory[x][y] & B001) ? H : L ) && gGrid[x][y] == ( (trajectory[x][y] & B010) ? H : L ) && bGrid[x][y] == ( (trajectory[x][y] & B100) ? H : L ) ) {
          }
        }
      }
    }
  }

void on_press(byte r, byte c){
      rGrid[x][y] = rGrid[r][c];
      bGrid[x][y] = bGrid[r][c];
      gGrid[x][y] = gGrid[r][c];
    }
  }
}

void on_release(byte r, byte c){
  rGrid[r][c] = rGrid[(r+1) % ROWS][(c+1) % COLS];
  gGrid[r][c] = gGrid[(r+1) % ROWS][(c+1) % COLS];
  bGrid[r][c] = bGrid[(r+1) % ROWS][(c+1) % COLS];  
}

void while_pressed(byte r, byte c){
  time = millis() + PAUSE;
  rGrid[r][c] = 255;
  gGrid[r][c] = 255;
  bGrid[r][c] = 255;
}

void while_released(byte r, byte c){

}

God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

lol nice code, i looked through it a bit, and it's very nice!

sadly, i don't think i could explain this situation to you, so i will post pics asap, and if you look back in less then an hour, they'lle be up!
But theres something wrong with my wiring, it works better as a capacitance sensor then a button pad lol, i messed up somehwere...
tty tonight
« Last Edit: February 29, 2008, 05:39:58 pm by big93 » Logged

God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

ok, i got them:

now since i know these pictures aren't the best of quality, just ask me anything you need to like if your not sure of a resistor value, or not sure what is connected to which pin...

the picture of the button pad is the one with your code running it, obviously it's not working, and i dident have it set up right, so if u can see the flaws, that would be good.

i was also short on breadboards, so i had to do the button input's with all the resistors right on the arduino sheild, but they are not shown on this picture because they weren't done properly...

Toronto
View Profile

OK, I can't tell at all what's going on in those pictures, and not just because they're blurry (but it doesn't help).

I recommend doing part by part debugging. First, I'd disconnect all of the switches, since the problem appears to be with the LED drivers. No point having unrelated circuitry in there messing things up.

Since the lights are on when they shouldn't be, I'm guessing that the problem is with the transistors. Are you sure you have those connected properly? Perhaps try driving the LEDs directly, without the transistors, and see if that helps. Just play around with it, reducing it to simpler setups, until you figure out what's wrong.

If it makes you feel any better, I spent the better part of a day debugging it when I built it a second time. I forget what the problem was, but it was something very simple that I felt really dumb about when I found it.

Good luck!

God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

ok, i just pulled all the button pad wires out, and i'm gonna try to go over it again to see if anything is not in it's correct spot, but for now ill post pictures of the ic's and everything without the wires, so you can see them more clearly.

ill post the pics in a cuple of mins...

God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

pics with disconnected wires:

as for the debuging, i had moments where i had my finger on the transistor, and it seemed to work fine, the colors on the row of which transister i was holding was changing colors randomly, but i dident know why it stoped when i took my finger off!

i tried connecting my finger with other points and sometimes got a result, and sometimes didnt. This is starting to tickly my angry bug ( horrible way of saying im gettin pissed off, i know.. ) but i just did everything perfect, i see no reason why it shouldent work!

your picture is almost an exact duplicate of what i have, its just strange... I might go out to radioshack and buy those transistors there, they sell alot for about 3 bucks, so maybe its these transistors, even though i got em from digikey... And i researched the crap out of em to make sure i got them in the right way...

this really should be working

God Member
Arduino rocks
View Profile

well, there fuzzy again, but hopefully not too fuzzy...

i'm not sure why, but for some reason this doesent work even though i duplicated your picture...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 12:16:37 pm by big93 » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Jump to: