Go Down

Topic: Ethernet Shield going to sleep?? (Read 4501 times) previous topic - next topic

Cruelkix

The other troubleshooting tip is to remove parts of the code and test. Then if it doesn't fail, start adding bit by bit until it fails.

Or, create some sort of auto-reset (search the old forum, there is something there about it for the same type of application), that is triggered if the processor locks up.

Thanks for the tip. 

I'm not conviced its the code.  I think it might be a hardware/power issue. 

I can't do an auto reset becuase it will default the temperature set points back to their original state of 300.

I can't do an auto reset becuase it will default the temperature set points back to their original state of 300.

That's nothing some EEPROM space and careful programming can't fix...
Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Cruelkix

Oct 05, 2011, 05:30 pm Last Edit: Oct 05, 2011, 05:36 pm by Cruelkix Reason: 1

Interesting.  I didn't know you could do that.  Got a good place I can learn about it?  I'm assuming EEPROM is some on board memory I can use that won't go away with a loss of power?  Or is it only good for soft resets?

Nevermind, found it http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/EEPROM

Interesting.  I didn't know you could do that.  Got a good place I can learn about it?  I'm assuming EEPROM is some on board memory I can use that won't go away with a loss of power?  Or is it only good for soft resets?

Nevermind, found it http://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/EEPROM

Check here: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,74236.0.html
Eu não sou o teu criado. Se respondo no fórum é para ajudar todos mediante a minha disponibilidade e disposição. Responder por mensagem pessoal iria contra o propósito do fórum e por isso evito-o.
Se realmente pretendes que eu te ajude por mensagem pessoal, então podemos chegar a um acordo e contrato onde me pagas pela ajuda que eu fornecer e poderás então definir os termos de confidencialidade do meu serviço. De forma contrária toda e qualquer ajuda que eu der tem de ser visível a todos os participantes do fórum (será boa ideia, veres o significado da palavra fórum).
Nota também que eu não me responsabilizo por parvoíces escritas neste espaço pelo que se vais seguir algo dito por mim, entende que o farás por tua conta e risco.

Dito isto, mensagens pessoais só se forem pessoais, ou seja, se já interagimos de alguma forma no passado ou se me pretendes convidar para uma churrascada com cerveja (paga por ti, obviamente).

Cruelkix

Oct 18, 2011, 01:15 am Last Edit: Oct 18, 2011, 01:20 am by Cruelkix Reason: 1
Ok, So my arduino is locked up right now.  All the lights are on and I am able to ping it, but when i try to access it both from an outside IP address and from an internal one, no luck!  Any ideas on how I might be able to trouble shoot what is causing it to not respond while it is locked up?  Everything I have tried to do before this has been to get it to stop locking up in the first place.  Anything I can try while it is actually locked up other than pinging like was suggested?

Thanks!

draythomp

There's another thread that is addressing this very problem.  Or, it appears that you have the same problem.  My experience with long term use of the arduino ethernet shield (or actually any of the 5100 based shields) is that they lock up over time.  I've gone so far as to write the critical data to eeprom on a continuing basis (meaning as it changes) and reset the board and arduino.  I even made changes to the board to be able to reliably reset it as well as sample the interaction to see if the darn thing came up correctly.  Doing things like this keeps my project online doing things even when the board locks up.  The advantage is that the arduino can come back on line in seconds.  I still have a problem if the ethernet goes down because the ISP fails, but my semi-autonomous devices can survive this problem, I just can't check on them or update cloud based logging I do.

Take a look at the other thread to see what is being researched in this area: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,75324.0.html

Trying to keep my house under control http://www.desert-home.com/

wildbill

Is the arduino hung? I had issues with a wifi shield that turned out to be a buffer overrun when unusually large packets were being broadcast. The overrun stamped all over Arduino SRAM and eventually caused the arduino to hang. I added a led to flash in loop to tell me whether the arduino was still alive. It might  be helpful to know whether it's the 5100 itself or whether you have a similar issue. In my case, I had a 400 character buffer, but would occasionally get 1400 character broadcast packets from my ISP.

draythomp

The reality (as the other thread shows) is that we just don't know.  It's an erratic failure and some folk don't have the problem at all; their boards just seem to run until they reset them to change something.  My experience is that it can be many hours before a failure and then sometimes two or three times in an hour.  On the 5100 chip the buffers are on the chip itself.  It has memory on board that is partitioned out for rx and tx buffers for 4 sockets.  That's why that chip is so popular, it leaves the arduino memory available instead of using it up for buffers.

zoomkat

My simple web server code has now apparently served up 75,000+ pages and is still going. Don't think there are any hardware issues with the w5100 shield.
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

draythomp

zoomkat, good job.  The test remaining is to serve up a page that has dynamic data on it and reacts to user input.  Then put it on the internet to respond to other requests that fall outside the parameters you expect.  Then do a few client calls to outside web servers, collate the data and feed it back differently.  I think the basic capabilities of the chip have been proven pretty well by yourself and SurferTim.  I especially like your example.  That serves nicely for new folks to work forward from.

I just don't think we've stressed the code enough to cover all the bases in the ethernet library....yet.

zoomkat

The test remaining is to serve up a page that has dynamic data on it and reacts to user input.  Then put it on the internet to respond to other requests that fall outside the parameters you expect.  Then do a few client calls to outside web servers, collate the data and feed it back differently.

Just as there is an upper finite limit as to how many people can be put in a car, there will be an upper limit as to what an arduino with an ethernet shield can do. It will never match Apache running on a powerful pc. So far I haven't seen any code that has both client and server functions included, but should be doable. The limited memory space available will require clever coding and thought to maximize what can be done with what is available.
Google forum search: Use Google Advanced Search and use Http://forum.arduino.cc/index in the "site or domain:" box.

draythomp

I have three devices that run server and client.  Two of them are on Unos and the other on a mega2560.  The unos have over 1K free memory running 24x7 and are pushing 25K of code with all the libraries.  The mega talks to 6 servers as a client and is a server to whoever messes with it; it also runs 24x7.  The last iteration or so of code for all of them is visible online. 

I don't underestimate the capabilities of these little devices. 

Courty

Put your finger on the regulator when it locks (or even when its runniing normally) - i'll put money that its very hot and that's what's causing it...

I too have a UNO running 24x7 with nearly all of the memory full and it works fine. given that the on board regulators are linear, try powering the project off a 7v plug in supply (Available from Maplin or Radio Shack)

Courty

draythomp

I never thought about that  !

I will look into that.  Do you think the regulator may be going into overheat shutdown or maybe the voltage is dropping?  Also, which regulator do you suspect?  The ones on the arduino or the one on the ethernet shield.  Easy enough to check all of them though.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Courty

check them all but I had a problem with the Uno main one + the resettable fuse (It desoldered itself !)

resoldered it and 7v feed cured all the issues  :)

Courty

Go Up